Sign in to follow this  
Guest flight

Just want to check on a few more things

Guest flight

1. I had read (don't quite remember where, think it was at your home site) that the total disk space needed was over 1 gig. I checked my ASV folder and it's only 511MB. Does this seem about right, or did something not install?2. I want to be real careful about this next one. I have been a user of your products way back to Active Sky, and still have it installed so when I bought AS2004, it could read the necessary files in order to qualify for the upgrade. I have all these installed applications in my add/remove programs listings and would like to uninstall all of them, including AS2004.5. If I do so, and then something happens to my ASV folder, will I be able to do a full install from the C:ASV Files folder that was prepared when I first downloaded and installed ASV? I'd hate to uninstall AS2004.5, or the previous Active Sky, and then not be able to install ASV at a later date if the folder or some of the files in some way became corrupt.3. When I select ICS under options, does that mean that ASV will install the proper cloud textures on the fly, according to the weather report? And just how accurate can it be, when Chris has so many different textures, not even mentioning the hard edge, soft edge, filtered edges, (head spinning, got to sit down...hey wait a minute, I am sitting down!)? The reason I ask this is because I like to get into my flying as easy and quickly as possible. With FS Skyworld I'd just choose random, install, and then start up FS9 knowing that each time I did a random choice I had a chance at eventually seeing all of Chris' textures. So will ICS use ALL of Chris' cloud textures (including soft edge, hard edge, filtered edge, etc.) and does it continue to match the weather reports installing new cloud textures on the fly as needed? If I use ICS and random, will ASV use all the cloud textures, installing them on the fly, plus I'll get a random choice at the beginning as far as the rest of the environment is concerned (sun, moon, snow/rain, sky color, runway lights, etc.)?

Guest Erups

>1. I had read (don't quite remember where, think it was at>your home site) that the total disk space needed was over 1>gig. I checked my ASV folder and it's only 511MB. Does this>seem about right, or did something not install?I don't know for sure, but the total compressed size is about 330MB.Now from decompressing, guessing a 40% of compression, it should be 550MB.>2. I want to be real careful about this next one. I have been>a user of your products way back to Active Sky, and still have[cut]As clearly stated nearly everywhere: once the installer has checked that you have a complete AS2004 installation it will decompress a FULL ASV INSTALLATION package to the path you specify.So unless you deleted it, you still have the original installer for ASV.You just have to remember where you put it.>3. When I select ICS under options, does that mean that ASV>will install the proper cloud textures on the fly, according>to the weather report?In order for ASV to load textures into FS you have to first start ASV, have it process the weather and only then load FS.

Guest flight

Thanks, and sorry for even posting most of this. Just after I posted I read the manual and had nearly all of my questions answered. I came back to edit my post but it was already too late. Thanks for your patience in answering anyways. There is one item not clarified by the manual.Regarding thermals, and I imagine that is or includes updrafts and downdrafts along mountain ranges. It states in the manual that to take full advantage of this and other effects provided by ASV and the internal ICS a flight plan should be loaded.Does this then mean that by flying w/ out a flight plan, I will not be getting the full effects of thermals and updrafts/downdrafts along mountain ranges?I hope this is not the case. Much of my flying is done in and around certain areas, and if I do make a flight plan, I just pick waypoints from my GPS and activate them from within the sim, w/out having to go into the flight planner.One other thing I just noticed from one of your answers to my questions. If I run ASV first to implement all my choices, then start FS9, I guess the option of having ASV automatically refresh the AI aircraft is moot. I realize there is a toggle button to do it manually, but starting ASV first does kind of make this "auto-toggle" in the options menu kind of useless, doesn't it?

Guest flight

Never mind. Read in another forum that the thermals and wind updrafts and downdrafts will work just fine w/ out a flight plan.Also, answered my own question about the auto toggle as far as AI is concerned. Ran ASV first. Went into environment. Clicked on random. Let it do its thing. Loaded FS9 fully expecting to have to hit the refresh button on ASV after FS9 had loaded. Lo and behold, it cleared the weather, loaded the weather at the new station, and forced the AI refresh...and I didn't have to touch a thing! You guys have thought of everything. I am speechless. (Didn't say type-less...speechless)