Sign in to follow this  
Guest David Lee 2

Questions about ASV with WideFS

Guest David Lee 2

OK, I bought ASV and admit even at the simple level I am using it it is a big improvement over AS2004. I have some questions about its use with WideFS, which is how I have it set up now. I installed it on my second computer. Now I kind of want to try the new clouds (although I use Flight1's AE). Do I have to copy folders over to the other computer? Are they being "uploaded" to it through the network? I don't really understand the cloud functions or ICS. ThanksDavid

Hi,Yes, they will be updated over the network as long as you do not have FS04 installed on the WideFS machine. No copy is necessary.What do you mean by cloud functions?ICS stands for intelligent cirrus selection. ASV will analyze the weather conditions and select the cirrus cloud textures.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_dev_team.jpg http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporter.jpg

Guest David Lee 2

Wow! Pretty cool concept! OK, so how do I pick the lower resolution clouds? I find I'm getting some stuttering at the moment. Thanks for the help!David

I would have to think that if you want to see the ASV cloud textures displayed on your FS computer that those textures must be copied over to the main Textures folder. The network may provide weather info that helps select the texture but it can only draw what is in the folder on your computer.Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Guest David Lee 2

Jim,It seems to be working pretty well now. I'm using the 256X256 textures but noticed that not all of the cloud textures in the FS texture folder are 256x256. Some of the cumulus textures are 512X512. The one you suggest to check for size (cumulus01.bmp) is considerably smaller than 1.3M (can't remember the size though). Other textures are 1.3M though. I enabled MIP mapping as recommended (had to use the mip.bat route). I'm still not convinced it did anything. It would be nice to have a way to confirm that it actually changed something. ThanksDavid

Guest Muppet22

I'm also having a few problems trying to work out the logic of how ASV works over WideFS. If I start FS before I start ASV, then ASV will still write the random cloud textures to the relevant FS folder (over my network) and these will be displayed? (No reboot of FS9 neccessary). Is that correct?I find it a little hard to tell that it is the ASV textures I'm seeing, having previously used FE.

Hi,If you use ICS startup mode, you need to have FS closed (or running but flight not loaded i.e. sitting at the create a flight screen) during the first ASV write/submit process. Then you start FS/the flight.In random mode, textures are written directly at ASV startup, FS can be started (or restarted) at that point to depict the textures.During manual submits through AE interface, it always writes textures, but again FS must be started (or restarted) at that point to depict texture changes.This does not apply to Cirrus clouds, which can be updated on the fly (and depicted in FS as changes throughout your flight)...This all works the same way regardless of WideFS use.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies