Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Slow download of online weather?

Hi,Noticed that the 370KB download of online weather seems very slow in ASV. Is this by design for some reason? I have a 10 Mbit connection to Internet so downloading 370KB should only take a few seconds.Thanks in advance,

Richard Åsberg

Guest flygbuss

Hi,For me the download is only slow when FS is not started (around 30s). I don't know why. When FS is started the speed seems maximized, a few seconds. I have 0.5 mb connection.

Hi,How long is it taking? It IS designed to throttle-back a bit in this version, to provide more stable results during peak server usage times. We now have many users downloading multiple sequential downloads (about 5 times the traffic as last version) thus the concern and reason for mandatory throttling. Since the update process usually takes much longer than the download itself (write process) we felt it would not be an issue. The download should not take TOO much longer than before, however.. on 10MB I would estimate about 30-45 seconds?Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Hi Damian and thanks for your answer.I just checked and it takes about 40 seconds. Of course this is no big deal but when you should start ASV and let it do all processing before you start FS9 when using the ICS option, it do get a big annoying to sit around and wait for that download every time you fire up ASV before you can start FS9.Haven't had the chance to try ASV yet but will take a short flight now and I'm really looking forward to it after everthing I've read about it so far :-) Will start by using the 256x256 clouds without mipmaps enabled and see what FPS that will give me. If no good, I will enable the mipmaps but understood that can be a time consuming process.Cheers,

Richard Åsberg

OK, will see if I get the same result over here - haven't tried ASV yet but will now :-)

Richard Åsberg

Hi,A few suggestions: start ASV paused and only hit refresh after you are positioned at your departure airport. Converting the mip maps only needs to be done once. It can take some time, depending on your system, so before a meal or before a bathroom break is a good time.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_dev_team.jpg http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporter.jpg

Guest Kiwi75

>Hi,>>A few suggestions: start ASV paused and only hit refresh after>you are positioned at your departure airport. Converting the>mip maps only needs to be done once. It can take some time,>depending on your system, so before a meal or before a>bathroom break is a good time.>>Hope this helps,>JimThe problem with this (I imagine) is that once FS is started, you can't use the ICS+random textures option. Is this right?In that case, I guess we'll have to be a bit patient and get used to starting ASV 4-5 minutes before launching FS.Kostis

Yes a speed-up would be appreciated. I have a 2MB DSL line here in the UK and am used to fast downloads. ASV is VERY slow. What with FS2004 taking ages as well its getting a bit irritating. A 370k file should download in a couple of seconds!AdamWin XP - ARIA 3200PCPrescott 3.20 GHz - 2GB RAMAsus ATi Radeon X800 Pro TD 256MB19" CRT 1600x1200 @ 100hzAudiophile 24/96 Audio

Hi Jim,Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them.Did a short flight yesterday night and I was very impressed both with the visuals as well as the performance which actually increased with the installation of ASV. Flying in PMDG's B1900C gave me a steady FPS of 25 and that is with almost everything maxed out and 100% AI traffic. And I still haven't enabled mipmaps! But haven't had the time to do a flight in the far more FPS eating PMDG 737 yet though...;-)I understood enabling mipmaps can increase FPS but are there any other advantages enabling them or maybe some drawbacks as well? With this performance and superb looking visuals I don't see any need to enable them...? Also had an annoying problem in AS 2004.5 where clouds was sometimes "painted" in a very slow pase in the far distance, looked very unrealistic. Then I read in another thread here that someone discovered that that problem might have vanished in ASV when not having mipmaps enabled and if that is the case, that would even more make me want to stay with the mipmaps disabled.Then another question, like some others I have problem understanding the logic in the AE Environment settings - how is it possible to choose for instance two different sun textures at the same time and then click on submit...which of the two different textures chosen under 'Environment' will then be used within FS9?Thanks for yet another great wx program, you guys are amazing in what you achieve - great work!!

Richard Åsberg

Hmmm good questions i'd like to know too. I was the one who mentioned no drawing clouds if mips not enabled, bare in mind i cant further test it because my frames were to low 6 fps at 37000 feet with thunderstorms below so i had to enable mips due to performance, i was possibly using 512x512 too. I was just suggested by a member of ASV to have my sight distance equal or lower than cloud draw so im going to try, also let me know if my statement was correct about no painting clouds, try at dawn or day since i noticed your first flight was at night and you would not see this at night.edit: what is your sight distance and cloud draw as is right now in your fs9 options?Happy flying!

Hi there!Guess I'm just lucky with the FPS I got with mipmaps disabled but then again that might be different depending on the present weather and of course also what a/c I use. Also I'm using the 256x256 textures and not the 512 ones, maybe you should try the 256 ones as well with mipmaps disabled.You're right I did my testflight late last night but I adjusted the time in FS to daytime to be able to see anything :-)I'm using the sight distance and cloud draw distance in FS9 suggested in the manual for ASV and in ASV all settings are also default.All the best and safe landings!

Richard Åsberg

Hi Kostis,ICS will work either way. You are correct, random textures must be loaded before FS is started. But, with ASV paused you can go into AE, either randomly choose or hand pick your textures and submit them to FS. This will not take 4-5 minutes!Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_dev_team.jpg http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporter.jpg