Sign in to follow this  
Guest MrBitsy

Forget what I said about turbulence!

Guest MrBitsy

I flew from KBLI into Canada because I installed Ultimate Terrain Canada & FSScene USA/Canada. I picked an arrival airfield at random and took off about 1 hour before dusk. I flew a twin turboprop.The clouds and sunset were fantastic! Low cloud could be seen in the valleys. Towering CB could be seen ahead, with clearer conditions either side. When I say towering CB, thats exactly what I meant - I couldn't see the tops of the clouds past the window!I started my approach (no ILS) and reduced speed to 108 knots full flap. All the way down towards the runway I had choppy conditions, requiring lots of control inputs and power changes. Got to 500ft and she fell out the sky! I corrected but wasn't happy so initiated a go around for a second attempt. The view towards the sunset was portrayed by ASV beautifully, with Ultimate Terrain adding to the illusion with the lights floating above the ground and realistic rivers reflecting the water. I started my second approach wary of sinking in the last mile. This time the approach was different! The aircraft sank only a little a little further out but the wind had changed direction, causing me to be a little fast on the approach! The aircraft also didn't want to descend in the last mile - I corrected but ended up too far down the runway so a second go around!WOW is all I can say! I eventualy got down and flew back to KBLI, where I landed in perfectly smooth conditions! Previous to ASV the FS world appeard pretty well dead to me, with every landing a pretty easy affair - not any more! ASV has made the atmosphere come alive!Ruddy marvelous!Ray Keattch

Guest davidvoogd

I totally agree - things are far more realistic now - the air isn't so stable anymore I love it. I just flew a 152 along the coast of Lake Superior just north of Duluth. I went to land, hit a downdraft in the circuit so I had to correct for that, then I got out of, set up for a nice approach but was a bit high so I cut the power, full flaps, just after I hit a downdraft and started comin down way too fast, because I was already poorly setup my landing was a little rough lol.Either way the verticle air currents make things far more realistic!