Sign in to follow this  
Guest tstewart

HyperThreading and ASV

Guest tstewart

Just wondering if anyone with a P-4 processor with hyperthreading can tell me if there is any benefit in setting the affinity of the cpu to run FS9 on cpu 1 and ASV on cpu 2. I have been running this way ever since Reality XP had problems with hyperthreading. I run ASV,and FSNAV 4.7 and have the settings used above and get good performance with the exception of about 30 seconds into flight ASV must write to FS9 because I get a reduction in fps and a studder for about 10 seconds and this is with a P-4 3.4EE and an X800PE video card. Any info would be appreciated.

I also have a P-4 3.0 (@3.2 mhz) with an X800.The "stuttering" most experience wih FS-9 can often be traced to the high latency setting of the graphic cards. Most high end grapic cards have a latency setting of 256 which hogs the bandwith and this often results in stuttering.I have change my latency setting on my X800 to a more sensible 64 which essentialy eliminates stuttering and makes eveything run much smoother.Why do graphic card manufactures set the latency so high?The reason is purely to get every last frame per second to win the benchmark/marketing wars!Setting it lower does not really lower FPS to any noticable degree. You just loose an ocasional FPS here and there but the resut is much smoother operation over all.There are a few freeware tools to change latency settings.Here is a link (and info) to the one I use. It's small and very easy to use.http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=951Try setting the latency on your X800 to 64. You have nothing to loose except the stuttering. :)

I'm bumping this to the top because I believe this can help many get less stutters and better performance with ASV. :)

Guest Keith Cocker

Thanks very much for this. I have a good spec machine and lots of memory and while I was getting very good framerates I was getting lots of small scale stuttering as textures loaded. I have tried the latency adjustment on my ATI card and have seen a great improvement.Well worth trying out

>Thanks very much for this. I have a good spec machine and>lots of memory and while I was getting very good framerates I>was getting lots of small scale stuttering as textures loaded.>I have tried the latency adjustment on my ATI card and have>seen a great improvement.>>Well worth trying outI'm happy it worked for you.:)Most do experience a very noticable improvment.