Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

An update on the download time of real world weather

Hi,Posted about this once before and wonder if something could be done to the download speed? Like someone else said it shouldn't have to take between 30-45 seconds to download only 370KB.Of course this isn't a BIG issue, but it does get annoying to have to wait for that every time you fire up ASV.TIA,

Richard Åsberg

Guest glenb

TIA,I have had the same problem with slow download of current weather. I start ASV in paused mode and download the weather after locating my plane on an airport. It would take several minuets to complete the 370Kbs + file.BUTIf the MSFS window is minimized the download goes as expected. It will finish in a couple of seconds.Try this - Load MSFS and place the plane on an airport. Switch to ASV and hit refresh. It will run slow. Then minimize the MSFS window and you can see the dramatic increase in download speed.Hope this helps.

Hi,As mentioned in that other post (I think?), ASV is designed to take about 30-45 seconds on the download (with broadband). This is for 2 reasons: 1) to prevent fs9 stutters and 2) to relieve server strain during peak usage times... It is working very well right now. In the end it means smoother, better, quicker downloads more reliably for all users at all times. I don't think everyone wants to give that up but if so, please speak up! We are very open to input! Something like this will obviously require a "majority vote", as the decision will effect everyone.You can enable "Start ASV Paused" and hit refresh (to unpause) when you are ready to start the download process. This will prevent ASV from downloading right off the bat.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest glenb

Damian,What I was saying is that if MSFS is an open window, either full screen or maximized the weather download is very slow. If the MSFS window is minimized the download is very fast. It is probably just my system but with MSFS minimized the download is just a few seconds. When I want to refresh or download I just min the window and when the download is finished I maximize again.

Hi Damian and thanks for your input!But...it does seem to be something else that also has an influence on the download speed after reading what Glen says here...that the download only takes a couple of seconds if you have FS running and minimized? And since one of the reasons you mention is to avoid stutters in FS, it's even more strange in my eyes why the download is faster with FS running, even though it's minimized.Start ASV paused is of course an alternative but I like to use the ICS + random mode and when having ASV start paused it won't get the chance to submit the randomly chosen textures to FS when your fire up FS before hitting refresh in ASV or have I got this wrong? What would be great would be if you could have ASV submit the textures to FS when in random mode BEFORE it pauses or am I thinking wrong here...?Anyways like already said a number of times the last few days, ASV is really a stunning program and I'm a very happy customer indeed!

Richard Åsberg

Hi again Damian,I can now confirm what Glen says a few posts up, the download is very fast (the way it should be if you ask me) when FS is running and minimized. So I still wonder what the deal is here, if your intention is to throttle the download speed, that appearently doesn't work when FS is running minimized.Cheers,

Richard Åsberg

That's strange Jim since I get the same result every time?!So how long does it take for you to download the weather (370 KB) when you don't have FS running compared to when you already have FS running and minimized?Over here, the difference is huge and I'm pretty sure that it doesn't depend on Internet traffic, weather server traffic nor the phase of the moon ;-)When downloading the weather without FS running, the download speed is always exactly the same and very slow and steady. Don't think that would be the case if the culprit was traffic congestion, that would give very random download speeds which is not the case here and would also decrease the download speed when FS is running.

Richard Åsberg

Guest TonyDAVIES

Hi GuysIs what you describe simply a question of windows resource management, memory and processing.?. When a window is minimized is it not set to background? therefore ASV then gets allocated the primary resources, set 70% 30% on my system,that fs9 was using. I may be wrong tho. Just my 2 cents worthTony

Guest glenb

I don't know the technical reason but I do know that if I minimize fs9 window the 370+k file downloads in about 3 to 4 seconds. With the fs9 window open my CPU Usage is at 100% according to the task manager performance chart. So there could be a settings issue.

Hi,Interesting, but since the download is equally slow when FS is not running at all I doubt the culprit is lack of resources or processing power - seems to be something else. And once again, downloading 370 KB data shouldn't need to take between 30-45 seconds on a broadband connection unless the download is extremly throttled...and if it is...it should take equally long to download the data when FS is minimized which is not the case here. Compare a download time of 3-4 seconds with FS running and minimized to 30-45 seconds with FS running and not minimized...or when FS is not running at all.

Richard Åsberg