Sign in to follow this  
Guest monsoon

On the edge of giving up

Guest monsoon

This really isn't all about ASV but the whole FS in general. I was having pretty good frame rates with my system:Asus P4c800eP4 3.2 OC'ed to 3.7ATI X800 pro1 gig OCZ 3200But being the person I am I went out and got a better video card seeing that the rest of my system doesnt need any upgrading. I went out and got an ATI X850 XT. Man 650 bucks. I wiped out my HDD and reinstalled only what I needed. I installed ASV and flying from cyyc-cyeg, frames rates were dropping to 8-12! This is ridiculous. I was using third party aircraft and just to see how much effect the ASV has, i cleared up the skies and bang....pegged at 26 fps (locked there). With my system i should easily, without breaking a sweat have 26 fps EVEN with ASV and bad weather. When does this money pit of a hobby end! I am at the edge of giving up all my FS hobby, selling everything and going back into radio controlled planes. Sorry, just venting guys.

Hi, "But being the person I am I went out and got a better video card seeing that the rest of my system doesnt need any upgrading. I went out and got an ATI X850 XT. Man 650 bucks. I wiped out my HDD and reinstalled only what I needed"When you start from scratch like this and wipe out everything, there is may some thing not right at start, too much configuration to check.Which video cards driver did you install?Your Bios settting for the agp Aperture etc. Did you overide Fs2004 AA with your external video cards driver setting?What's are the Fs setting display? The list goes on and on.There is so much thing to see. you may check here http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=151or there is a service consultation, from registry, bios and more http://forums.simflight.com/viewforum.php?f=83 for your need if you wanted.ThanksChris WillisHiFi Simulation Software Team Developerhttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_dev_team.jpg http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporter.jpg

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest monsoon

Hi Chris. I installed the same vid card drivers I had for my X800 pro. The latest cat drivers. I didnt touch anything in my bios. Shouldn't have to. The settings I had for my X800 pro will do just fine for my X850. ALL the settings in my FS are the same as it was before since I backed up my cfg file and just used the same setting all except now my cfg recognizes the X850. So really no difference. My fps should not be taking a pounding like that though.

Guest monsoon

chipset? got the latest from intel yesterday. I have no idea what could cause it to drag down like that. I am pretty good with computers and i am stumped.

Guest monsoon

I though I read the enable mips is for 512 clouds. If not what do i do?

Hi, Yes when you enable mips, they mips all clouds resolution, enable them one time and don't touch them again.Can I see your fs2004 setting? there is some slider if you touch them, they will degrade your performance, such as mip map slider in fs2004, leave it a 4, and disable the AA internal fs2004.ThanksChris WillisHiFi Simulation Software Team Developerhttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_dev_team.jpg http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporter.jpg

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest mmcevilley

>When does>this money pit of a hobby end! I am at the edge of giving up>all my FS hobby, selling everything and going back into radio>controlled planes. Sorry, just venting guys.Each time I lost an RC plane it was at least 2k in material investement and probably 5k+ in my time building/finishing!-michael

Your FPS seem pretty much what you get with high end system PLUS 3rd party aircraft (eg LDS 767 VC), ASV & heavy clouds and other sliders halfway or more. Reduced cloud draw distance and visibilty helps and so does 256x256 clouds (instead of 512x 512, the 64x64 just look c**p IMHO so don't try those) but not all that much. I get much the same with an AMD3700+ and a Nvidia 6800GT (it cost me over 600 Aus dollars!). If others are getting much better FPS in this type of situation please share the secret to your success.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Guest Callmecapt

Just taking a stab in the dark here, have you reinstalled directx9.0?You mentioned you wiped out your entire hard drive so directx may have been installed after installing windows but not the latest version.RegardsGoran

Guest Erups

>dollars!). If others are getting much better FPS in this type>of situation please share the secret to your success.My rig you can see in the signature.With this setup, ASV and PMDG 737 i never get below 12fps, but on the ground, with thunderstorm and custom scenery.Otherwise i am always up on the 20 (fixed at 24).Custom scenery can really hinder the performance.For example last flight i took off from LIRA (italy) with a very detailed scenery and was at 16fps with weather.When i arrived to LOWI (Innsbruck) which has a free scenery to it, my fps dropped to 6!I was barely able to land.My sliders are pretty much maxed out.I am conservative with the meshes (at 85%) and weather (60nm of sight distance, 40nm for clouds, al the rest at max), and don't use AA or AF.Mips at 8 (previously i was using 5 but i noticed that it is so much better with 8!).Each single thing you add to this sim lowers the fps, even those so praised GMAX sceneries.For example i have higher FPS in the default start location (forgive me i don't remeber what's city it is, i am not american) with that much object density around, that i have in Rome, which is a lot less extended but i have a custom scenery.Let alone the airplane: some really stupid free airplanes do hog your system so much they are almost unflyable.FS has always been so uncontrollable because of the number of variables each user adds to it.You can never know which is doing what.

Interesting, I agree on the ground FPS are usually quite good up to 20 or better even with heavy cloud but after take off during a climb out in heavy overcast (eg with the Wx configurator low overcast template) FPS dips into single digits in the PMDG 737/LDS 767 VC even with 29 nm vis and 30 nm cloud draw distance. (With the 6800GT it makes little difference what AA & AF you use so I have it maxed out, traffic is usually 75%, no water effects and other sliders near max & I always fly in windowed mode because I use multiple monitors). Is there anyone who can honestly say their FPS never dips below say 15 with the PMDG 737/LDS 767 VC when flying through heavy overcast (ie multiple layers of 8/8, FPS on my system is usually OK in 3-5/8 cloud)?Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Guest Erups

I may have not been complitely clear: i have (and to me it seems obvious) better fps when airborn because of the higher distance from detailed scenery.Near the ground i have the worst (fps-wise) situations of all.

HI Guys, I hope you are not using 32 bits aircraft texture from 3rd party, only use DXT format with aircraft. Sadly there is aircraft that's are too much builded with accuracy the frame rate will reduce alot, just figure to add them with others feature in Msfs at the same time, AI Traffic,scenery, weather, Mesh, etc. You will have to make compromise at some area and not running Msfs at full on all area. Resolution, AA and AF as well.ThanksChris WillisHiFi Simulation Software Team Developerhttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_dev_team.jpg http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporter.jpg

Kind Regards
Chris Willis