Sign in to follow this  
ILYUSHIN_IL62

And you thought only ms planes sink in the ground!

Guest SD Sim

:-lol :-xxrotflmao :-lolThanks Geof. Now that's a nice way to end the weekend. I hope the unfortunate pilot made it out OK.

I guess that would be considered "severe icing conditions" :)Hope everyone was ok.CF-AOA

Guest freequest

where did you find that pic... and is there a story behind it :)

Guest freequest

just haveing a alook at it a second time looks like he landed on ice :) man... hate to see the repair bill on it :)

Guest DNelson

Just guessing, but that looks like it could be at West Yellowstone, Montana (KWYS). That area gets tons of snow, and the airport is closed from October to May. Because the airport is closed, the runway is not plowed. I've heard stories about pilots not doing their preflight homework and trying to land at KWYS, thinking that the white stuff on the runway is just a light dusting of snow. The result would look a lot like this picture.Dan

With a good ID we might find the accident on the NTSB database.David

I would say, by the looks of it, the pilot landed the plane on a frozen lake that turned out not to be very frozen. Looks like it had skis by the size of the tracks. It looks like it pretty much came to a complete stop and then sunk - hopefully the pilot was long gone!David

Assuming this shot is actually in West Yellowstone as Dan suggests, I positioned my cessna in a place that best matched the scenery in the photo. If my placement is correct, the pilot landed on Hegben Lake, just north of KWYS :-eek.-Derek

Guest freequest

>Assuming this shot is actually in West Yellowstone as Dan >suggests, I positioned my cessna in a place that best >matched the scenery in the photo. If my placement is >correct, the pilot landed on Hegben Lake, just north of KWYS >:-eek. Looks about right :)

The pilot was just an avid ice fisherman and it was too cold to get out of the plane....sooo....:-lolNo, what really happened was that he forgot his ice saw, and figured that he could just gun the throttle while standing on the brakes and the prop tips would chip out a nice hole for him! ;)Regards,Steve Dra

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg