Sign in to follow this  
Guest SlimDady

No more blurries. A miracle? How long?

Guest Pabra

My specs; p3, 450 o/c 550, aopen mobo, 256ram, viper 770 32mb ultra, 22" Iiyama visionmaster 510 pro @ 1600x1200x16.I always presumed blurries where there due to lack of adequate prossesor power so I never bothered changing my settings exept in the bios; agp aperture size 256. I have texture quality & size set to max, no autogen, atc 70%, mesh 50%, mipmap on.In some sort of desperate mood decided to 'what the heck' make some significant changes. TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=1.760000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=0TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=40.000000 /_____TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=60.000000 TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=3 As you can see I reversed terrain default and extended radius values as stated by some great minds. Don't ask me why I did this; It seemed obvious the first one should be smaller than the second as it originally is. No scientific explanation.The point is I made a flight (sturup to luton/737-200)without ever having a blur whatsoever with crisp textures extending far out and that's definitively a first. I think this might be pure coincedence; system vs settings and that I may have stumbled upon some sort of agreement between the two. No changes in performance noticed.Comments welcome.Paul

Guest freequest

well i tred your settings and my waves are almost getting to the detail i used to have on them...they appear to work correctly as well...

I had posted settings similar to these late last year, but I later warned against using them if your memory is under 512 megs. These settings use a significantly greater amount of RAM than the default 2k2 settings...I've seen up to 40-50 megs initial extra usage. Moreover, 2k2 will continue to eat at the remaining RAM in order to satisfy the increased need for texture display as you move through a region, usually at a rate of 1-2 megs per minute, depending on your A/C speed. Having said that, I do see an improved display when I use these settings, especially in the distance. But if you find you develop a stutter after an hour's use or so, you'll know why (the stutter will be caused by an increasing swap file hit as the remaining free RAM is diminished). It is still a good tip, in all its variations, especially on systems with a greater amount of RAM.-John

Guest odog

Wow!Just tried it...quite a staggering change! Even the sheer cliffs in Alaska have a much better texture appearance, not the smeared washed out look im used to.I didnt notice any change in performance on the short flight.thanksjoe

jerrycwo4Just so others will know that any ONE fix will not work for everybody. I tried the above'fix' the other day and saw NO differant. i went back to my old setting but now that I fly with downloaded wx, it is only CLEAR enought to make any differance a very little time.jerry

Hi Paul,Many thanks for your post. Works great for me! Overall it's a vast improvement concerning the blurries. I like to fly the slower aircraft and now I can do so without having to press "Pause" and wait.The only negatives I've noticed (which don't bother me)are:1. In some high density mountain terrain (with terrain mesh) i sometimes see the mountains being "built" as my computer trys to catch up. It's very minor and doesn't bother me. Also, I use a GeForce 2 mx 400, 32 meg video card. I'm going to upgrade to a GeForce 4 Ti4200 64 meg card which will probably take care of that problem. 2. This may not be due to the .cfg changes, but I noticed that when flying over New York City the scenery which is very far away (can't estimate) is lost as somewhat of a blob. But the scenery closer to my position is crystal clear and remains so - no blurries.Now, I don't know if this has anything to do with the .cfg change but I find I can increase my locked FPS from 12 to 15 with great results!Have a good one and many thanks to all of you who have posted messages to help us get rid of the blurries.Howard

I changed my settings to see if I see would see a difference and while I didn't notice any at VFR altitudes (below 10,000 feet) I did, indeed, see a difference up high above 10,000 feet. The textures were sharper than before. Nice tip.Regards,Dan Zollnerhttp://jdtllc.com/images/RCsupporter.jpg

Guest SlimDady

Well looks like most like it.. so ill try it and post my results

Guest SlimDady

Well I think your settings helped. It looks a little better then b4.I also see no visable performace hit. So thats good.. BTW I have 512mb ram and geforce 2 gtsIll attach a pic of what I see. I can tell its an improvment.. You might be able to see it alsohttp://members.shaw.ca/evan.lask/fixed.jpg