Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lobaeux4

Loving ActiveskyRE!!! - A quick look.

Hmmmm. The more I use this program the more I see the subtleties that make it a GREAT program! After using FSMETEO since it first came out I can't help but try to pinpoint what makes them different.Here is what I have observed so far.1) Weather transitions are far smoother in Activesky2) Cloud variety, conditions, layers and display are more realistic3) Winds aloft are more stable and realistic4) CAT and cloud turbulance are more realistically implemented5) WIND SHEAR and gusty winds induce severe "pucker factor"6) Try flying behind a "heavy" for a wild ride in wake turbulance!7) Destination winds more reliable for ATC runway selection8) Winds in mountainous areas are DANGEROUS!9) Updrafts/downdrafts are simulated faithfully (and scarily)Here are some examples.On approach to KEWR on Saturday with VERY gusty winds in the area I got 1000 FPM up and down drafts and got beat up pretty good on approach. For the first time ATC switched the runway to Visual 29 for landing which at KEWR is used by jets only when the cross winds are too severe. I have never seen 29 used in MSFS EVER using FSMETEO.On approach to KIAH on Saturday, I ignored the thunderstorms in the area like I always do using FSMETEO. Tell you what, I will NEVER do that again!!! I flew too close to a super cell (accurately depicted) and got hit with a down burst that caused me to lose 2000 feet of altitude and for the first time I heard WIND SHEAR! WIND SHEAR! Next time, I WILL respect the FS weather!Decending into KSEA on Sunday night everything was pretty calm until I got within 3000 feet of the mountains and was some really hairy turbulance from updrafts. Again, this is pretty realistically modeled.Also, I am not sure why the clouds look better but they just do.After flying a couple of transcon trips this weekend, I pulled my safety net and removed FSMETEO from my system. ActiveSKY is the future of weather simulation for MSFS and at the right price too. FSMETEO is a really good program but ActiveSKY has surpassed it and I must say that I am impressed.Mike T.

Looks like i'm not the only one loving this software ;-)

Hey Mike,Thanks for the great post. BTW, please let us in on type a/c's you fly. Sounds like a TERRIFIC add-on has arrived. Concerning that approach to KIAH.....if you do not have FS FlightMax, may I highly recommend same. John is updating it to be completly compatible with active sky and you will have no probs diverting around the bad stuff. Your future "passengers" will appreciate you allowing them to remain in their seats rather than "kissing" the cabin tops.:-lol

"Pucker Factor" - En. The uncontrollable urge for your rear-most oriface to shrivel up to the size of a pin head while tightening up with the pressure of a clenched fist, sometimes sucking-in lose objects on which you are seated. (i.e. The Pucker Factor was so severe that after the flight I noticed that my seat cushion, two buttons and 75 cents in nickels were missing!) :-lolHTHMike T.

Hi Vincent:..... after the flights this weekend the flight attendants are not speaking to me. We've had two broken teeth, a bumped head, and one with blue water all over her uniform! :-lol. And forget about the passengers, they take one look at who's in the cockpit and walk right back up the jetway muttering something about taking the bus :-lolI only fly the big irons unfortunately so Flight Max doesn't fit onto my flight decks. HOWEVER, now with ActiveSKY it is imperative that we fly with weather radar and I am thinking about getting in until one is integrated into a airliner panel. I'll probably take a look at it in a few minutes and see how it can be integrated into my PIC 757/767 or DF 737. I HOPE that the new PMDG 737-NG has a weather radar on tap! :-beerchugMike T.

Guest oyvindhansen

I think I'll buy Activesky as soon as I get home. It was Mike's down burst story that sold it more effectively than any advertising could do.- Oyvind

Guest Stamatis

I do not want to be seen as "pissing on your parade", but if you were flying a jet airliner, some of the phenomena you described (e.g "Decending into KSEA on Sunday night everything was pretty calm until I got within 3000 feet of the mountains and was some really hairy turbulance from updrafts"), seem highly exaggerated.Being thrown around like that because you came within... 3000 ft (!!) of some mountains is not necessarily "realism".StamatisPS I have also bought ActiveSky just today :-)

Hi Mike, I'm really glad to hear that it's working out for you after your initial experience. Personally, I've never seen clouds like wxRE produces. It's not the clouds themselves (I'm using the default clouds), it's the incredible variety and complexity that amazes me.

Stamatis:Don't worry I have an umbrella. If you check the METAR for KSEA yesterday you will notice that they had a nice west coast storm going on hence turbulance and especially high gusty winds blowing in from the ocean, hitting the mountains and then then deflecting up in the air...updraft. :-)Realistic? Yep.:-lolMike T.

>I only fly the big irons unfortunately so Flight Max doesn't >fit onto my flight decks. Hey MikeThat's the beauty of FlightMax. It's not a gauge. Runs on .dll; just pops down from your "module" menu. You can assign any key to "hide/open", size it anyway shape or form. Assign a location to your panel and it will be at the same spot every time (you can do the same for each a/c you fly)You will really love it on those trans con flights. Will give you echo warnings out to 200 miles. No, I don't work for the developer. I'm just a happy purchaser.:-sun1

ok Mike,you just convinced me of buying activesky, you should go into sales :)although I really believe you when you say it's realistic, it doesn't seem that realistic to me when you're only shaken up whole the time with 1000FPM descents.btw,that KEWR story has nothing to do with Activesky,right,you probably changed sometgin in your AFCAD file I guess?

I agree with all you, Active is Sky is great....100% props for the ActiveSky Team...Hoep the come out oth another good product as that one..