Sign in to follow this  
Guest oyvindhansen

WinXP Home or Pro Upgrade for FS?

I have decided to upgrade to WinXP...Would I be ok with the Home upgrade ($98) or should I go with the Pro upgrade ($189)...Would I gain anything for the difference? Thanks...

I have Win XP Professional and have never used XP home edition.All I can tell you is that XP Pro works just fine with FS2002. I'll let others comment on how it works with the home edition.

I have had XP Home for over a year and do not have any problems whatsoever with FS2002. If you are an MS XP Office power user, I would recommend XP Pro, otherwise, Home should be just fine.

Guest nutmeat

Having had both installed on the same computer, I can tell you positively that the Pro version is significantly faster than the Home edition. You will see much better performance in the FS, given the same hardware suite, with Pro...like almost 2 to 1. Both are solid OS's and I rarely have problems/crashes unless it is something I have knowingly done.

Go with pro if you plan on doing any web development. Home has no IIS or PWS, and they can't be added without a big hack. As for performance with FS2002, I'll have to defer to the other posters, since I've only used Home (and it works really well). My upgrade from ME resulted in much better smoothness.Good luck,Greghttp://www3.sympatico.ca/gregory.moffatt/A320_BigO_new.jpg

Guest oyvindhansen

I think Pro and Home should be exactly the same(probably even identical code) as far as flightsim is concerned. I don't think fs would ever use any of the extended features in the Pro edition, that are mostly networking related. But you may of course get Pro for other reasons, as it is a more capable system.- Oyvind