Sign in to follow this  
Arklight1

Nasty Explorer problem .. need help, advice

Last night everything was working fine (WinMe, 192 MB). I did not install any new software but I installed Shez's Reagan National Airport and verified that everything was fine after that.This morning I get this bizarre problem .. I can't use Window Explorer, I can't open any file folder (but can open individual files if I can get to them). I get error message "Window Explorer caused error in FLT.DLL. Windows Explorer will now close ..." Since Explorer will not work, neither I can do any file searches ... I can run most programs however without any problemsI am not about to reinstall WinMe - did it once before and this was an absolute nightmare since you are trying install older files on top of new ones. It took 2 calls to MS to straighten things out In the worst case I may upgrade to WinXP and thus way I will probably be entitled to 2 free support calls (my free WinMe quota is gone).Any thoughts ? Thanks.Michael J.

I searched both my Win98 and WinXP sides and could not find a file labelled flt.dll. Go to another computer and make a dos boot disk, start your computer with this disk, and search for this file. You may have a virus. I have Shez scenery and haven't had a bit of problems with it and no viruses in the file either. See this website http://www.computing.net/security/wwwboard/forum/2400.html

Skip XP and get Win2000.No support calls needed. I've had Win2000 for about 1.5 years and NEVER had one problem. No driver issues, no IRQ conflicts, great MEM management.Downside is that Win2000 Pro isn't as user friendly as XP, which I never understood since Win2000 Pro never seems to have any problems on my machine or my clients machines.Hope this helps.Shane

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3