Sign in to follow this  
ronzie

GeForce2 MX 32mb PCI upgrade to ???

Guest Mark_Herring

Santa wants to bring me a new graphics card and I have questions - just like everyone else on the subject. But I haven't seen one question asked yet when searching this forum.I'm currently running FS2k2 on a KG7 motherboard with 512 megs of DDR memory and GeForce2 MX 32mb PCI card. Indeed, I'm running on the PCI bus even though I have an AGP slot due to 'grandfathered' equipment from my previous system.I'm very satisfied with the performance of FS2k2 except when it comes to video. It's pretty jaggy and I'm not able to use AA with my card.Question - if I were to upgrade to a GeForce3 or GeForce4 card, would I be happy with the results? I know none of you are mind readers, but, would video quality be noticeably increased? I see screencaps in the Screen Captures Forum and some make me drool. I'd like to know what I'd need to get similiar results.Thanks!

I'm by no means an expert on this, but I don't think you will see much difference in video quality between a Geforce2 and Geforce3 without effecting the performance of the sim.I think you will definately see an increase in quality with a high end Geforce4 (Ti4200, 4400, 4600 but not the MX version)which has the power to improve your visuals without impacting your CPU too much.Hope this helps.Best RegardsPaul Manton

Mark,Santa has already arrived for me. Coincidentally, I am running an ABIT KG7 with 512MB DDR and I have just upgraded from a GeForce 256DDR to an ABIT SILURO GeForce 4 Ti4200 with 128MB DDR.I am absolutely thrilled with the smooth performance and visuals of this card (using the 3030 nVidia reference drivers)The 64MB version of this card has faster memory (500 as against 440)but I decided to for the extra memory instead.Pat

My son and I have duplicate systems except I have a 64 Mb PCI MX400 video card and he has the GEForce 4 TI 4200. My SE benchmark is 2,100, his is 6,000, I think that says it all.

Guest Mark_Herring

From what I've read, it sounds like I'd be better off to wait for the next generation of cards coming early next year and then go for the GeForce4 Ti (either 4200 or 4600). Does this sound like a good gameplan?

I have the G-Force 2 MX200 AGP. I am using the MX400 driver (30.82) and AA does work. My system is s-l-o-w with a PIII 550 but AA does work.I suggest you might do a little tuning with Rivatuner, adjust your LOD to -1 (apply the indicated driver patch) and adjust your detail accordingly. You should be getting fairly decent video with your fast CPU.