Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sabadin

Video Card

Ok I am deciding on which video card to get now. I have a 1.8ghz, 256 RAM, 80 GiG computer. Am i looking to get a card that will give me the best performance for Micrsoft Flight Simulator 2002. I was wondering if an ATI Radeon 9000 PRO 128 MB video card would work well. Also, is there a better video card for a price range of about 150 to 200 dollars. Thanks!

That sounds like a good card. However, I'd check with the GeForce4 series card which you should be able to easily upgrade to for that price. Get more RAM. Go to 512. RAM is inexpensive right now.

Ok what will increasing my RAM from 256 to 512 matter in FS2002, and also I see an ATI 9000 Pro 128 MB for $150, while an ATI Radeon 8500 64MB is 200. Why is that one more money, also am i better off getting a GeForce4. Whats the difference between GeForce and Radeons?

You might consider the Nvidia GeForce4 Ti4200 or Ti4600 with 128 meg. Both are great cards and work well with FS2k2. Watch out for that ATI Radeon. Some people have never gotten it to work with FS2K2. Seems there is a problem on some systems where FS2k2 crashes after about 5 min of game play if you set all the sliders to max. Also, you might consider increasing your memory to 512 RAM. That would probably have a more noticable impact on framerate than a new card if you're looking for the best place to put your money. Hope this helps!Ray

Guest Stratus_Fractus

IMHO CPU speed is the deciding factor on fps. RAM will undoubtedly help with stutters and smoothness.

And does a BFG Technologies Asylum GeForce4 Ti 4200 128MB Graphics Card sound ok or is Nvdia better?

Nvidia is the chipset that's on all GeForce Cards...there are a lot of different manufacturers out there for GeForce Cards. They're all good.Mark

Guest gremel

Check the following site for a comparison of Nvidia vs. Radeon etc.http://www.tomshardware.com/Click on the Graphics Card icon on the left of the opening page and read the 'goodies'..Regards,

Guest Sabadin

If your looking into a Radeon 9000 I would sugget grabbing an 8500 if you can, the 9000 is meant to compete with the GF4MX. If you can't find an 8500 I believe they are shipping as the Radeon 9200 now(or something like that). They're very good cards with FS2002 and others. You might also want to look into a 9500 Pro, not sure if they're available for $200 or less though.

Guest Stratus_Fractus

IMHO=my humble opinion. To me, I'd say get at least 2.0Ghz+.