Sign in to follow this  
Guest JonP01

Athlon XP 1700

Guest Coneman

Will this work with SDRAM and Windows Me?Thanks for the help,Todd

Guest ba747heavy

Like the previous posted said, depends on the board. However, you REALLY don't want to get an XP 1700 because it is too slow. Go for the 2600 or(god forbid) the 2800. Your board will have to be able to do the socket a thing, and the FSB of 333 for the 2800. Correct me ifI am wrong, but AMDs 2700 and 2800 won't be using a FSB of 266?

Guest Coneman

Just to clarify, I am looking for an inexpensive upgrade, and this fits the bill. The motherboard I am considering (ECS) will support SDRAM and the Athlon XP. I was just wondering about Windows Me because AMD states that the XP is "tailored" for Windows XP. Does that mean that Me won't work with it? And is there anything else I need to consider? My power supply I believe is 250W, which I will upgrade to at least 300. Thanks for the help.Todd

I am running ME with an Athlon xp2000+ with a 333 mobo and ddr ram.Seems to be ok to me.All I need to do is get a decent video card.

Hey Todd,If you are getting the K7S5A board, then I can tell you the board works fine with SDRAM and Win98. I never ran ME, so I can't tell you for sure, but my XP1700 and K7S5A has run 98 and XP pro just fine with (1) 256 stick and (1) 512 stick of PC133 SDRAM.Go here http://www.amdforums.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=24 to get up to date info on the board, and to have just about every question answered about it.Oh, and you might read that it is strictly taboo to run with (a) disimilar memory stick sizes and (:( memory from different manufacturers. Well, I'm doing both and have yet to have problem 1 with my setup! :) I just have my memory timings set to a decent level and all is well.Oh yeah...a big yes to upping your power supply to a least a 300, esp. if you plan (or already are) on running a GeForce 4 (not mx), a few hard drives, CD, partridge in a pear tree...etc.I will go with the majority and tell you NOT to skimp, and get a quality power supply. I recently pruchased the Antec True Power 380 and couldn't be happier (well...my PC is the happy one). :-lolRegards,Steve Dra

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Guest Coneman

Thanks for all the great help guys! Got the 1700, K7S5A board and an Enlight 360w psu. This should give me something to work with.Todd

Guest JonP01

I love that "tailored for XP" on the Athlon XP packaging. I wonder whether anyone has actually felt compelled to upgrade their OS purely because of what it says on the Athlon pack!With my two systems, my internet / office system is an SDRAM based Athlon XP 1800 + system using an Epox 8KTA3L + board and runs Windows ME. My simming machine is an Athlon 2400 + with ASUS A7S333 and DDR RAM running vintage Windows 98.