Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jet

FSGenesis Landclass

Guest Lobaeux4

Just downloaded Beta 6 of the landclass and noticed that Phase 2 is available for purchase. Anyone pick this up yet? What are the differences between the two, other than the updates will be to the Phase 2 landclass. This may be a must have, just looking for ideas on it.Lobaeux

HI Lobaeux Phase 2 picks up where Phase 1 left off. Phase 1 was just a raw conversion from the NLCD data with very few manual tweaks and edits.Phase 2 is the refinement of the raw conversion in Phase 1. Adjustments are based on my own research of other sources (maps, aerial photos, satellite photoes), and from end-user feedback from those familiar with their local areas.Expect weekly updates (at least) for the foreseeable future. There are nearly 10 million individual LC areas in the package, so I'm sure there will always be some stuff to adjust and tweak. :-)With this in mind, it probably helps to see it as a subscription. A one-time purchase, then free updates for the life of the product. Just download and install them as they are released.Any other questions, just ask.ThanksJustinhttp://www.fsgenesis.net

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net

Justin, (Almost) every time I try to log on to your web site, my IE freezes up. Anyone else having this problem ?

As one who authored a freeware landclass creation tool, I know how long and hard it is to update landclass on a regional basis, let alone a national one. The cost of this Landclass package is minimal compared to the value--especially with updates being free. I wish you success....any chance you'll expand your efforts outside of the U.S.? I know source material may be the issue there, but I believe given the fair pricing on the U.S. landclass, those areas would sell very well if you could manage to complete such a project.Regards,John

HI John,Yes, it's on the drawing board. Looking at Canada and Mexico first, probably Alaska, too, although it's 98% wilderness anyway.It's a big world out there, so given the availability of source data, there's always going to be something to do. I'll be focussing on the refinement of the US Landclass over the next several weeks, but other places are not out of the question.ThanksJustinFSG

Justin - Toposim

Guest Jet

Justin-Are you also including the airport updates like you did for FS2000 in your Terrain packages?Thanks,Greg

HI Uwe,I think what you're asking is a very difficult, if not impossible thing. Satellite textures and landclass are two entirely different animals. There's only so much that can be done with Landclass. It's only meant to give the "impression' of reality and not a photocopy. The allure of landclass is a great improvement with minimal disk space cost. For instance, the entire US will fit into about 2 Mb in Landclass, but would take several terabytes--or more--with photoreal textures.It would probably be much easier at this current state of the scenery art to make the photoreal textures more compatible with the landclass by adjusting the phototexture's colors to conform more to the landclass textures colors. You'll still see some edges. They are inevitable. But they wouldn't be so pronounced.JustinFSG

Justin - Toposim

Guest frankcubillos

Great job Justin, bought them when you released them, and I am very pleased with the results. Keep up the great work amigo!! :-wave---Banners? We don't need no stinkin' banners!---Visualize ProjectAI sig banner here.

Guest Lobaeux4

Justin,Any way to incorporate the catfish farm ponds (the square ones) around the Mississippi River in Arkansas and Mississippi? Are these the type of user inputs you're looking for?Lobaeux

Lobaeux ,It's my understanding that Landclass data simply tells FS2002 which texture to display for a specific scenery tile. While Justin, or anybody else with Landclass Assistant can manually change the texture to be display anything you want, the texture must exist in FS2002. I suppose if there is an appropriate existing texture then it could be done. Note, Justin's process is much more involved than that of Landclass Assistant. I just brought it up as it is a freeware tool available to anyone. I have never tried it, and personally suscribe to Justin's project.Tony

Guest Jet

OK, I'll be looking for the airports...they were great for FS2000.Especially the "NJ" airports that we like so much...right down the line on the Turnpike.I can get you picks of the totally updated KMMU when you get going.Thanks