Sign in to follow this  
Dark Moment

Signature Size Clarification

In a post last week it was said.>>>>We have evaluated the use of signature images on the AVSIM forums and have established new policies that go into effect immediately. The reasons for this change has everything to do with speed of message load and appearance. Please implement these changes immediately, if you do use images in your signature.1.) Only one (1) image is allowed2.) That image shall not be larger than 400 x 60 pixels in size3.) The image file shall not be larger than 10 Kbytes in size4.) The image can be animated, but shall not exceed the 10 Kbytes size<<<<

My guess would be and hopefully Tom can clarify as well is that 400x60=24000 pixels, so any combination that would fall within the <= 24000 and <=10kb would be acceptable. (ie 200x120=24000 or 240x100=24000)Of course I may be wrong, only speculatingBrent

Brent.Over at FS the signature guidelines are not a OR they are a ANDso even if your sig is 320x125 it is still overlimits and it doesnt matter how few KBs it is.Regaurds

Hopefully Tom can clarify for us. Anyway, I'm just glad AVSIM is setting the restrictions to free up some bandwidth, which ain't cheap for them, plus beneficial for users. It has been boughing down a lot lately.Brent

Dark Moment....So would 160x138 be oversized?????

Guest freequest

Not that i mind the new sig rules but i think most people pull there sig's off there own or the supported items website i know my sig is pulled from Damin's WXRE activesky page so the only bandwidth that avsin will lose is the HTML text.But on the other hand the user will lose bandwidth because of large image size if that is what you are refering to.

flynman,Yes, if you take a literal reading of the policy, 160x138 would be oversized. The 138(H) is over 60. :-)400x60 is generally accepted as the internet standard for "banners". It allows you to get your point across, without being overtly distracting.Cheers,Rog

>Not that i mind the new sig rules but i think most people >pull there sig's off there own or the supported items >website i know my sig is pulled from Damin's WXRE activesky >page so the only bandwidth that avsin will lose is the HTML >text. >>But on the other hand the user will lose bandwidth because >of large image size if that is what you are refering to. OTOH, what truly annoys me is that all too often there's enough net congestion that the linked signature 'banners' will actually stop the display, especially when using the 'view all' feature...

Guest freequest

Never had that problem bill and im on a 56k modem which im lucky to get 48kbps at times. :)But I just nitpicking anyway :)

Seems I missed this one in my XP upgrading frenzy.... :)Okay, we don't really care about the format of the image size as long as it does NOT bust 24,000 pixels AND 10 Kbytes. Please note the AND in that statement. Any combination of L X H that comes out to no more than 24,000 Pixels and 10K or less is kewl by us. Anymore than that, and you will get slapped about the head with a very aged and smelly tuna (the first time). :)

Oh no ......Now you've done it, Tom. The next great Avsim competition will be to produce the largest sig possible within your new parameters ...Mark "Dark Moment" BeaumontSig removed, having recovered from reduction surgery, for assessment of enlargement surgery possibilities. Thinking of calling it Michael.

Nice one, Brian. Yeah, there is always one in every group to find a way to push your rule to the extreme. I'm afraid I would have to oblige you in making yours an exception to following the rules and ask you nicely to give it a good 90 degrees of rotation. :-)