Sign in to follow this  

PSS Dash 8 - Dynamic Wing Views?

ERM, but if you deal with a P3-800, your computer won't be able to handle the model. My P4-1700 machine has to pause for about a minute to allow for swapping when switching to VC or external view. Even then, I get about 14FPS.

I've never had issues--many argue that the Flight1's 421 brings systems to their knees, but I've compensated by lowering other sliders to maximize my enjoyment of the aircraft and scenery. With reflections off, I get 23-25 fps in external view on the F1 421, and I get 15 fps or so w/reflections on. Since I don't fly by external view, I don't mind the lower fps. If I chose the Dash-8, I am sure I would have no issues that'd make me regret the decision. As for cockpit views, I only get low fps coming into the "gated" airports like LAX, ATL, etc.... Then I get around 15, 16 fps. I compromise vs. my cpu by keeping AI low, and Autogen off in the flight levels and normal for bush or G/A flying. Leaving ground shadows off and A/C reflections off helps as well. For V/C's, I lower gauge quality. You open up an interesting thought though--how have others with lower end cpu's fared, and what have they sacrificed to enjoy the aircraft?

I can speak to that. I have a 667 MHz celeron overclocked to 950 Mhz, with 512 MB of RAM. When I first installed the PSS dash, my fps were poor, arround 5 - 6 in an airport. Then I realized that I was running FS at 1600 x 1200 screen res. I resized to 1024 x 786, and now I'm getting 10+ fps in airports, and upwards of 14 fps in the air which is pretty good (for me). At the lower resolution the PSS dash-8 still looks very sharp, so I am now quite happy with it.

I should add that I have my autogen at medium, and my terrain mesh and terrain texture at high, and I am using ActiveSky wxRE with cloud density at 100%, so my clouds are quite detailed.

Guest Ron Freimuth

>ERM, but if you deal with a P3-800, your computer won't be >able to handle the model. My P4-1700 machine has to pause >for about a minute to allow for swapping when switching to >VC or external view. Even then, I get about 14FPS. My PII 467, with an 8 MB TNT Vanta card may take a few seconds to texture a spot view. Otherwise, I have no '1 minute pauses' when switching to a VC or spot view. Ron

Guest AndrewJM

To those who say you should be looking forwards and not across the wing whilst flying - I find its fun to land the plane and then do a replay to see how it would have looked for the passenger. Its also fun to peek out across the wing in the early stages of the descent and whilst in the cruise.As one of the respondants pointed out a wing view is only a wing view if its dynamic. I would appeal to the many highly talented developers out there to include dynamic wing views wherever possible. Best regards, Andy (EGNX)

Well, part of my problem is that I can't seem to live without AutoGen, and usually set it to the 'Very Dense' setting. Once, just to see, I moved the slider all the way down to 'Sparse,' and got about 60 FPS, unlimited.