Sign in to follow this  
Andayle

ASv6 Very slow weather downloads but only whilst in FS2004?

Hiya allI seem to be having a problem with ASv6, When I import a flight plan before starting FS2004 so that it will upgrade all textures not just the clouds it seems to download the weather update very fast. Only takes around 3-4 seconds to get the 370k update. When it updates whilst FS2004 is running is VERY slow, it can take upto 3 minutes to pull the same 370k from the server. If I quit FS2004 the download goes back to its normal speeds.Is this a feature? or is something wrong? Apart from the time it take to download while using the flightsim everything else is fine. Once the download has finnished even the airport updates are nice and speedy.Apart from this small problem this is an absolutely Fantastic product. I salute all those involved in the development and customer service of this product.

Dean Farley

Hi,Thanks for the words!For the download time, we have some reports of exactly the opposite, the download taking much longer when FS not loaded. Strange indeed. The main thing here to remember is that downloads are actually throttled back to prevent performance issues when in flight and also to keep consistent server performance levels during peak times. The system is designed to take approximately 2 minutes for download in such cases. 3 minutes seems a little long but still close and does not indicate to me that there is a problem. It appears to depend greatly on the system configuration, other applications, AV/FW sofware, etc...Since FS9 takes 100% of all available CPU cycles when running (and window focused or in full screen), it makes sense (to me) that the download process might be a little slower because any AV/FW and in general the entire system is going to have less CPU to work with. You might want to experiement with temporarily disabling such software or other programs while FS is running to see if it has an effect.FWIW, we are actively working on improvements in this department (see a recent thread about this in the past week) to try and get downloads faster and more consistent through more efficient and smarter processes.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Sometimes mine downloads slow and sometimes it downloads fast. FS can either be running or not. I always thought it was just the WEB.JimCYWG

Hi,Well yes that of course will have a big effect too, the current throughput from your point on the net to ours, which will always change depending on traffic levels and general internet connection health...Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies