Sign in to follow this  
CraigC

Gigabyte GA-7VRXP

Has anyone tried the GForce 4 TI 4200 with this mobo?I have read in the overclockers forum that it is a problem, that the version 1 and 1.1 of the mobo has to be modified.Anyone know about this?

Yes there are problems between some of the 7VXR mobo's and all the GEForce4 Ti video cards. Look up key word Disaster or my name Nigel at this forum and the FlightSim forum over the past month and you will hear all about my problems. Cost me $150 for another mobo to get out of the problem. There may be a fixfor the 7VRX but my dealer was unaware of it, yet I got my mobo last July and there were complaints about it in June on the GigaByte subforum at the VIA forum.Good luckNigelVancouver

I have the VRX and have had no problems. BUT, I waited until the 2.0 board was out, and the VRX is minus RAID. I think if you skip the RAID and just get the VRX youll be fine. Im running the eVGA Ti4200 and it hasnt skipped a beat since the day I bought it.Craig

A little late now. Have had the board for about a month or so.Had not idea that it had problems, have heard from others that it can be sent back to the factory and take 3 weeks to put one small diode or transisor in it. I am about to raise the roof with Gigabyte if they think that I am going to send it back to them and wait 3 weeks for a fix that they should have advised users/dealers about.

Gramps! Dont give up just yet. Ive heard that some people were able to return the board to the store it was purchased and exchange it for a 2.0 board. If you havent tried that, call Gigabyte and ask them, and if you cant get anything from them (very possible), then go to the place you purchased the board and tell them whats up. If theyre versed at all in the products they carry, they should already know about 1.0 board problems and should exchange it promptly. This is of course all in a perfect world. :)Craig

oh crapper i just installed this same mobo ver 1.1 in my pooter running an old gf2 gts 32mb card, everything runs great, i also put in an athlon 2400+ chip and fs really hums! very glad about it, but i was planning on getting a gf4ti 4800, oh man! now what, should i get a diff. card? and if so what? i wanted to get one with vivo so i could get the "Steven Spieldberg" out of me.any advice would be much appreciatedthanksciao!Brian S

Ciao!

Craig: Thanks for the tip.I just wrote Googlegear and offered to trade for the mobo without the raid for the same price. Of course I see today that the mobo is $19 cheaper than it was in October. (THe GA-7VRXP) I said that they could send it and charge my card and when they get this mobo back they could credit my card. That way I wouldn't be computerless for a couple of weeks.Sounds fair to me, what do you think?I don't know Raid from a donkey so I wasted my money on that portion of it anyway.

Brian, your best bet would be to visit the Gigabyte forum at www.viaarena.com and sift through all of the threads having problems with Ti4600's so you know what to expect. Just because you have a 1.1 board doesnt necessarily mean you will have problems, but I would feel comfortable saying most have.Craig

I dont know raid either, and have no use for it so I know really nothing about it. Thankfully that turned out to work in my favor. As far as the board exchange goes, its probably your only option unless you want to be computerless for however long it takes the new board to ship. Personally, I wouldnt be able to function, but you might. I would think Googlegear is a respectible company and would think the chances are slim you will have any problems during the exchange process.Craig

well is the incompatibility coming from mixing tixxx with the mobo with raid?? is that the problem? you can shut off raid in your bios, its listed as something like promise technology or promise chip or something with promise in it. if by disably this would this "fix" the issue with the ti cards?thanksciao!Brian S

Ciao!

I honestly dont know since I dont follow the problems with that particular board. Like I said before, that Gigabyte forum is chock full of more info than youll ever need to sort out the problem with the raid 1.1 board. I think I saw a few people who had figured out a solution, but of course it involved alot of work and technical know-how. Personally, I wont put up with having to fix anything that shouldnt have the problem in the first place, but some people enjoy tinkering with that stuff.Craig

Brian: No, there is a small solder joint on the mobo and maybe a transistor or diode or whatever that has to be addressed.I saw a picture of the version 2 and then one of the 1.1 modified and it looked like it had been thru an anvil factory, must have soldered it with a steam iron. Must work, though. Something to do with voltage, nothing to do with the Raid portionWhat P*** me off is that Gigabyte was aware of the problem that they would have notified their dealers and have them fixed before being sold. Googlegear has a mail in point for repairs so I guess they must have a place somewhere here in the U.S. rather than Taiwan.

Gigabyte makes a pretty good product on most of their boards, but one thing I can certainly say from personal experience....their customer service SUCKS. Bold, underline and in 40 point font. Its the worst I have ever seen, and if I have a problem, they are the last resort for sorting it out. Although anymore, it is highly unlikely to have a problem with a piece of computer hardware and not be able to sort it out on a forum with other people that are experiencing the same.Craig