Sign in to follow this  

What magazine do you sugest???

what are the best magazine of flight simulator that i can buy???'Thanks for your helpMusicvit

Guest freequest

John do you think i could get that in australia... Im cant get enough FS sim reading and real GA reading :)

Well regarding PC Pilot, you must remember it is basically a huge advert for Just Flight as they own it. Since when has it been fair to review your OWN products which are always glowing when the reality is they're crap as I've demonstrated in an earlier thread.I've yet to try the one from the Australian guys now on sale in Smith's over here, my experience of most has up to now been, shall we say not very enthusiastic and I can spend a fiver on much better things.George

Guest Lobaeux4

I've read PC pilot and computer pilot at Books a Million, and I gotta say, they're way over priced. It's good to see that there are magazines devoted to simming, but with AVSIM, by the time you read about it in a magazine, it's way old news. AVSIM's probably your best resource for simming news.Lobaeux

I would be inclined to agree about the expense...way off the mark. The cover CD's have only the same as we can find at Avsim and the other lot DAILY. For simmers without internet access I guess the mags are all they've got to keep in touch, even though it is old news.Perhaps Tom should think about it ?George

Just gonna throw my 2 cents worth into the mix. I recently subscribed to Computer Pilot and have found it to be a pretty good read. True, if you are looking for product reviews, it is probably a little late compared to Avsim or any of the forums, but if you are looking for general information about sim/flying, it has a lot. CP also gets into some of the hardware, like graphics cards, etc. It does cover all the sims, but stays close to MS. There are are articles on instrument flying (an example) which were presented in a form which was easy for the newbie (me) to understand. I don't know how the $us and $au compare, but I found the subscription price to be on a par with other hobby magazines I have subscribed to. In any case, it makes a great reference source. :-wave Ron from behind the Cheddar Curtain. :-wave

>Well regarding PC Pilot, you must remember it is basically a huge >advert for Just Flight as they own it. Since when has it been fair >to review your OWN products which are always glowing when the >reality is they're crap as I've demonstrated in an earlier thread.I think you'll find most print Flight Sim magazines are owned by add-on distributers now.Computer pilot is owned by PC aviator. Flight Simulator World was owned by Abacus before they sold it to PC Aviator.There's really no way for these publishers to avoid eventually reviewing their own stuff.Truth is they are still pretty good magazines. Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

CP has a wider degree of coverage on non-sim specific features, such as multi-engine situations, engine types and operational practices. The PCP cover disk is handy for those with slow or no Internet connections which in some instances includes a trial copy of reviewed software and also occasionally some useful full apps such as the recent distributions of Microsoft FS2K2 related SDKs, a fix for same, and a full updated version of G-Max requiring only a free registration key plus two basic tutorials on how to create aircraft and scenery with it.Since both may contain a good percentage of space unrelated to your choice of sim, perhaps if available on the shelf each should be evaluated by the issue to see if it warrants purchase. If not available to peruse, check the websites, www.pcpilot.net, www.computerpilot.com, to check each issues features and see what better fits your style of flying and desired info and resources.Also, don't overlook some government publications for real flying such as the AIM/FAR annual compendium from McGraw-Hill (Aviation Week Books), FAA publications such as the 12.95 USD Instrument Flying Handbook (very reasonable price), The Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual for how-ti's and theory behind advanced prop and jet aircraft practices, systems, etc. that essentially provide much of the non-sim specific info as in the mags' tutorials. All IMHO carry lots of bang for the buck.You can get sim-specific topics covered in these forums including pc hardware issues. So . . . maybe some of these books might initially get you going for simulating the real thing if that is your goal and not provide info by the spponful with a one or two month wait for each piece.

Hi George,The majority of sim magazines have some kind of commercial affiliation. Indeed Computer Pilot is associated with PC Aviator which sells addons just like Just Flight/PC Pilot.I think both magazines are excellent. Microsimulateur (France) and FlightXpress (Germany) are both exceptionally good magazines and if anything cover an even wider range and in more detail than the English Language mags.Regards,Rob YoungRealAir Simulations

Sounds good Rob, Would you have a link please? It's good to see our collegues across the channel are still getting more than us, perhaps the English mags should take note.ThanksGeorge