Sign in to follow this  
OMillerJr

I need (want) a laptop

I could use a laptop for business but I'd like to have one that will run FS2002. I've found one with the following specs at a reasonable price... (less than $1050.)Toshiba Satellite 1410-S173Cel 1.8 GHzRAM 256 MB upgradeable to 512HD 30 GBCD-RW / DVD15" TFTWin XP ProAGP graphicsNVidia GeForce4 420 GoNow I'm not expecting the greatest results but, would this setup run FS2002 reasonably well.I am concerned with Windows XP Pro after some of the posts I've read.Thanks

With XP, you want the 512 megs of RAM.Don't expect the Gef "Go" cards to offer the same experience as a desktop GeF model. Anecdotal reports on the usenet suggest many have managed with it, others have reported having to work at getting FS to recognize the 3d hardware. I believe most issues are resolved with using the latest set of drivers offered.-John

I am definitely interested in hearing what some of the laptop owners have to say about this one. Ive been looking for the same thing to do certain things on the PC when away from home and one of the things is definitely play FS2002. I am also looking for a budget laptop (if you can consider $1,000 budget). I saw a couple of laptops on ebay from internetishop, but am afraid to buy anything electronic from anyone although they have pretty good feedback. I found a really cheap one (about $600) that was a 1.5gig Celery, but it had no battery, so you would need to be near a power source at all times (car, etc). I wouldnt forsee this being a problem since I dont go out into the boonies very often.Craig

Guest SlimDady

Wow nice fps...I didnt know the gf4 go was that good.. but u must have most detail down

HalloooI've got a Toshiba Sattelite 5100-201. It's a P4 1.6Ghz 384 RAM+WINXP with a GForce Go 440 vid card. I get a steady 30 fps with everything maxed in the default Cessna's, although a plane like the PSS Airbus or DF737 causes a bit of a hit. I love it because I can fly in the evenings on the sofa and sit next to my wife, so she can nag me and I don't have to sit in the dining room at my desktop in the cold. I have a bit of a problem with the soundcard though, It's a Yamaha XG something or other and I get pauses in all my games as a new sound loads. If ATC says something, theres a .25 second pause then it carries on as normal. This is no problem in FS but a pain in the rear when I have someone in my gunsights in other flight sims. You might want to check into that issue before you buy.Good Luck!

In reply to Ex FedEx 208 pilot... the model number isn't quite the same as the one I listed but after searching for the specs on the web the only thing I can find different is the operating system. Your's has XP home which I think I would rather have over the XP Pro. That's a darn good price I might add.One thing I'm wondering about is the scenery quality. On rhe screen shot it doesn't look very good at all. I've never seen frame rates that high either. Is hardware acceleration activated on your machine? Maybe you could throw up another screen shot of some different scenery so we could take a look at it.Thank's for the reply, by the way.

Hello,I just did a search on the 5100-201 and on the only web site that I could read it said this product no longer available. Sounds like the performance is acceptable though.

Since when did the FS usenet groups stop being a bazaar for used hardware? LOL

jerrycwo4I've got your answer because I just bought it and it flys FS202 with the FPS locked at 30 FPS and stays there 85% of the time. It has the BEST looking picture of any laptop that I saw. I love it . It is theSONY GRV550 Here are the specs:Sony VAIO

Thanks Jerry but the $1595 is more than I need to spend on a laptop that will see more use as a FS2002 machine than anything else.