Sign in to follow this  
spotlope

PSS Dash frame rates?

Just wondering what you Dash owners are getting framerate wise. I have read several posts on this subject and from what i can tell it is extremely demanding. This will effect my decision to purchise it, since my 1 ghz machine might just produce a slide show with the dash. Thanks for any replies.

I just posted a note on another thread about this, but here it is anyway. I have 667 Mhz celeron overclocked to 950 Mhz, with 512 Mb of ram. With my autogen at medium and my terrain mesh and texutres at high, and my desktop resolution at 1024 x 768, I am getting frame rates of around 10 in airports and 14+ in the air. I consider this to be quite acceptable on my system.

Guest PhilipManwaring

The key issue seems to be RAM. I think this is a very complex panel and model and it appears that systems with less RAM will spend some time churning the swap file. Overall it runs great on my Athlon XP 1700+ w/ 512MB of RAM and Windows XP.

XP2100, 768mb PC2700 DDR, GF3 TI500 here.Runs excellent! Same as the IK DC-9.Shane

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

like any other complex panel, it is a ram-issue. Like the PSS-A32x or the captainsim, you won't fly with less than some 700megs. If the framerates drop, have a look at you HD activity....if everything (including XP, FS2k2 and ..) can be hold in the ram, framerates aren't an issue

Guest Panman

Absolute rubbish.I have 512MB ram and there is no noticeable hit on fps. And I don't hear my hard drive thrashing away either.paNMan

same here. i don't notice it being any worse in FPS performance than the PSS Airbus. it's another great plane.

My coffee grinder has 384MB ram, and I saw it yesterday in completeagony trying to run FS2K2/wxRE/RealTime/Dash8/ or /A3xx/(memory used was almost about 500MB as the win2k task manager showed)most mem and CPU time was eaten up by FS2K2maybe at 512MB things are ql, but at less I guess not.700MB might not be such an overkill with all those addons andql thingies running.....

Runs really well considering the complexity of the panels. Just uses alot of ram, HD thrashes a lot at the start of a flight and when changing views on my p4 2.7/ti4600 256ram (win89).

Guest abent

Can WinMe use more than 512 DDR? Before my upgrade I used 786 PC-133 and it worked great. I talked to my computer tech and he said WinMe will not use more than 512. I want 786 cause I'm running a lot of atuff - ActiveSky, RCv3, FlightMax and ofcourse FS and I get down on RAM quite bad.. Anybody know?Thanks, Adam

thanks for the replies guys. This is a tough decision. Most of the people that replied had over 2 ghz processors. The only person with a processor close to mine is the first post and he only gets 10 to 14 fps. I have 512 mg of sdram, and it runs the PSS 747 pro and PSS airbus pro fairly well. I am also running winME and been told that it can only use 512 ram. If somebody knows a way around this please let me know! Is there a way to make a swap file for fs2k2 that i can use to take the load of my cpu? Thanks again!

Yup, as far as I know WinME does not use anything over 512 Mb.... Haven't tried it though, swapped to WinXP Pro before runing out of steam ;-) :-outta Francois :-wave[table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0][tr][td valign=bottom" align="center]"At home in the wild"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:avsim.com/alaska/alaska_052.htm]Don's Alaskan Bush Charters]"Beavers Lead the Way"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][br][tr][td valign=top" align="center]http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/logo75b.gif[/td][td valign="top" align="left" colspan=2]http://www.fssupport.com/images/moose2.gif[/td][tr][/table

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Swap files reside on hard disk and will not take the load off your CPU as I understand it. FS2002 is RAM demanding, first and foremeost, no way around it. The more you cam load in RAM, the better your simming experience. I just installed and flew this baby for an hour or so, and it flies well, handles good and looks great..but.. I do get some delays in changing spot views.... get a blank aircraft, wait, wait, paints the livery on it ;-) (I have my fps locked to 26 and that is what I get on a small airpotr and when flying with high-res mesh at 500 feet).And I am running on a 2.53 Ghz with 512 Mb RAM, GF$ Ti4600. The Dash-8 is great but DOES need a powerful PC to use it to the fullest. :-outta Francois :-wave[table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0][tr][td valign=bottom" align="center]"At home in the wild"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:avsim.com/alaska/alaska_052.htm]Don's Alaskan Bush Charters]"Beavers Lead the Way"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][br][tr][td valign=top" align="center]http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/logo75b.gif[/td][td valign="top" align="left" colspan=2]http://www.fssupport.com/images/moose2.gif[/td][tr][/table

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Without a doubt, the Pss Dash 8 has been the biggest frame rate HOG in my entire ac library. I do run Fs2002 with sliders all up, but every other plane I have, including Ariane's 737's works just fine except for this one. Selling it on Ebay. - Matt Duren