Sign in to follow this  

Compass Errors in FS2002

Hi there,I never really wondered if there are any FS2002 aircraft (preferrably GA planes) that realisticly model errors associated with the magnetic compass (i. E. magnetic dip, acceleration/deceleration error)?I'd love to find one (doesn't matter if freeware/payware) since I'll be starting partial panel approaches in my instrument course later this week.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Cheers,Petehttp://members.aol.com/pzsoulman/myhomepage/logo.gifAthlonXP2000,AbitKX7-333(latest4in1),512MB/2700SDRAM,WinXP,DirectX8.1,Geforce3TI200(128MB)(Det.30.82),SBlive(WDM5.1.2601.0)

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

There's a good question. As it turns out I have spent some time practicing compass turns in FS (cost a-lot less). It seems like the default 172 does include the appropriate magnetic dip errors. The only thing is, I think it might be pretty much the same no matter what latitude you're at. I say this because I'm in phoenix, and here we have 30 degree over/ under shoots at north and south headings. They say that this will be roughly equivalent to your latitude. I didn't try it any further north, but I did notice that the numbers where slightly off each time in what should have been a perfect standard-rate turn according to the turn coordinator. On the other hand, I'm still not much good at these in real life, and I'm about to finish my instrument rating. :7 I haven't really noticed whether or not there is any oscillation during flights in rough air or not, but the acceleration errors are there on east and west headings. One of the main problems is the quality of the compass in the default 172. As I recall, there where only markings every 5 degrees or so. That's my take on it anyway. Have you tried it at higher latitudes? How about in the southern hemisphere? Wouldn't you overshoot north, and undershoot south south of the equator? How do you like ComAir BTW? I'm on with Westwind out here in Phoenix.Chris

Hi Cris,shame on me, I don't think I ever noticed that the default 172 does that. I'll give it a try this weekend as I'm busy studying for my FAA written (instrument) on Thursday. BTW, yes it's almost the same here in Florida (undershoot North 30, overshoot South 20).I'll do some more research this weekend and see if I can find a nice plane to practice my partial panel stuff. I'd appreciate if you'd let me know if you come across one.Comair is awsome, tough but that's what's going to get us to the airlines asap. How do you like Westwind? That was one of my considerations when I started but I couldn't resist moving to Florida ;-) And the best thing is, just yesterday a bunch of Comair instructors came back from interviewing with Skywest and got all hired!! It almost looks like the regionals will have recovered by the beginning of the new year (Delta Connection/Comair are supposedly hiring 2500 pilots next year!)Take care mate,Petehttp://members.aol.com/pzsoulman/myhomepage/logo.gifAthlonXP2000,AbitKX7-333(latest4in1),512MB/2700SDRAM,WinXP,DirectX8.1,Geforce3TI200(128MB)(Det.30.82),SBlive(WDM5.1.2601.0)

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

Pete,I hope you're right about the regionals, things are kind of spooky out there right now. Comair sounds a-lot like Westwind, I too have been pleasantly surprised by the program. I started to go to Comair, but at the time it seemed a bit too expensive. Luckily, Westwind is really building a good name for itself. Otherwise, I would have probably been sorry that I didn't spend the extra money.Good luck on your written!Chris