Sign in to follow this  
pipper

Cirrus clouds over mid level Cumulus?

Hello to the Active Sky Crew.....For the past few weeks I have been noticing a strange tendency for AS6 to place cirrus layers UNDER mid level Cumulus clouds. In real life I don't believe this occurs, and this seems very unrealistic to me. To be honest, I don't know when this started because I haven't changed anything with AS since build 470. I am running Build 470 with an Athlon 3200/1.5 gig RAM/ATI 9800 pro dual Seagate Barracuda HDs in RAID 0 config.Anybody else seeing this and can this be fixed?Thanks........J Swier

Hi,That is strange. Random Cirrus on in FSUIPC? Post your ASv6.ini file and I'll take a look!Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development TeamActive Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter

Hi Jim and thanks for the response. Yes, I do have add light cirrus layer checked ON in FSUIPC. I neglected to mention that I always run VATSIM wx if that makes a difference. Here is the INI file: //ASv6 configuration file Build 470[General]WindowPosX = 495WindowPosY = 495DefaultWeatherFolder = C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9ModulesASv6SuppressionCeiling = 20000SurfaceWindLimit = 10FS9Path = C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9PersonalAppDataFolder = C:Documents and SettingsJoeApplication DataCloudLayerLimit = 4LocalSuppressionRange = 100MinimumVisibility = 0MaximumVisibility = 60AutoVasFrequency = 50AutoVasStrength = 30TurbulenceFrequency = DefaultStartupLocation = KISPDefaultGraphicsFullTheme = Evolution Puffy 1DefaultGraphicsCirrusTheme = CirriusAutoSubmitGraphicsTheme = TrueIncreasedWake = TrueDisableWindsAloft = FalseForcePrimaryServer = FalseForceSecondaryServer = FalseFavorCumulus = FalseForceRoutePressure = FalseForceLowestCeiling = FalseUnpauseOnReadyStatus = TrueForceTstormsWithCB = TrueAutoSetFSTime = TrueIgnoreFSLocationUntilReady = TrueAutoConvertPlanFiles = TrueAutoRefreshAI = TrueDisableVisGraduation = FalseForceRouteAloftTemp = FalseOfflinePlayback = FalseEnableVAS = TrueAutoGenVAS = FalseForceDestinationWeatherZone = FalsePreventIcing = FalseOnlineUpdates = TrueExtendedDestinationWindsForce = FalseDisableAllGroundUpdates = TrueGlobalWrites = FalseDepictFS9HazeLayer = FalseExtendTstormLayers = TrueDisableDirectWindControl = FalseVoicePlayback = TrueLocalSuppression = TrueStartupSound = FalseDisableGroundUpdates = FalseUseProxyServer = FalseFogLayerGeneration = TrueUpdateSuppression = TrueOvercastEnhancement = TrueIgnoreFSReadyStatus = TrueFSUIPCWindSmoothing = TrueLimitSurfaceWinds = FalseLimitCloudLayers = TrueAutoGlobalWriteToggle = TrueRainWithTS = TrueDisableUpperLayerGeneration = FalseVisibilitySmoothing = TrueDisableMessages = TrueAutoTimeZoneDetection = TrueUpdateInterval = 15VATSIMData = TrueZuluConversion = -5AloftPredictability = 100WindDriftRate = 0MaxCloudThickness = 10000MinStratusSeparation = 7000TAFProcessing = FalseEnforceVisibilityLimits = TrueWakeTurb = TrueStartPaused = TrueUseSystemTime = TrueDisableCAVOKClouds = FalseProxyAddress = NONELastPlanFolder = C:Documents and SettingsJoeMy DocumentsFlight Simulator FilesI also thought that maybe the setting "favor cirrus over cumulus" is a factor-I have that option selected too.Cheers and thanks........Jswier

Hi,Please try with the FSUIPC Add Cirrus ... Off. Your other settings are good!Edit: I would change that supression altitude now at 20000 feet. That means you are not getting any updates if you are under that altitude. Is that really what you want? Just an observation!Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development TeamActive Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter

OK Jim, I will make that modification in FSUIPC. Regarding the update level of 20000 ft, I usually fly a PMDG 737 on 500+ mile legs. What alt would you recommend instead? Thanks again!Jswier

Hi,Then that setting is good!Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development TeamActive Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter

Hi,Actually, depending on the weather condition data and certain random influences, it is possible. I'm pretty sure there is no prevention of this kind of scenario coded but we do try and follow realistic guidelines with formulas for determination of cloud types including air stability, temperature, humidity, wind speed and more... My guess is that certain "unexpected" data is causing this new scenario for you.It may be possible to add a "Prevent cirrus under mid-level Cumulus" option to prevent this from happening at all. I'll work on that :)For now I would recommend keeping the "Force cumulus over stratus" option on to prevent this as much as possible. Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Thanks Damian......I thought I was pretty up on my meteorology, but I guess you learn something every day! I have made the changes Jim suggested and am going to watch for how they all play out. I will also choose the "force cumulus over stratus" option as you suggested. I had this checked due to some forum feedback about selecting stratus over cumulus for increased fog effects, so I will also be checking that effect out too. Thanks again for the great support!Cheers....Jswier