Sign in to follow this  

I wonder how FS would run...

Guest freequest

Well i donno i think you would be strecting it to get 25fps...Only kidding but i dont think it would be running windows...

Yeah... The thing is, it would only be as fast as one processor. A supercomputer consists of many hundreds of individual processors. Multiple processors allow you to run more processes without a performance hit to the processes running on one processor. So, you could run FS2002, and have a significant program running in the background, without a performance hit to either program, on a PC that supports mutliple processors (something that does not exist... only Macs, and Unix-to an extent- support this).

Guest freequest

Yes that is a very valid point... FS does not handle multithreading or anything like that so it will all come down to one CPU GPU and whatever else is hanging of the system..

Guest Pabra

Sounds more like it could predict what fs would look like in a few decennia from now...

Yeah, that machine is powerful, but if you hook up a copy of FS2004 to it and put all of those sliders to the max including a thunderstorm at LAX with all the options punched and with a copy of 767 PIC with a default aircraft, it would make that machine overheat and come to a crawl. It would be slide show central. I can see it now. You'd be getting about 4-5 frames per second. All of these little Japs in white labcoats would be running around like KeyStone Cops, bumping into each other, tripping over one another. After about 10 minutes, you'd start to see little sparks come out from behind the consoles and then smoke after that with the blue screen of death after about 20 minutes. Remember guys, this machine is made for lighter tasks such a weather prediction and chemical, nuclear reaction prediction. In about November 2005, they fianlly get it fast enough to pump out about 10-12 frames per second, but then Microshaft would release FS2006 and the slideshow would continue...

Hmm, well you can get dual processor motherboards. I suspect you might need NT Server or Win2000 server to take advantage of that.There are ways of clustering machines - you can join up multiple unix/linux machines and multiple mainframes (you can run something like 255 multiprocessor mainframes in parallel) but with FS the benefit would only be apparent if FS was some kind of client/server thing rather than a standalone single user game.

Not just FS, but WINDOWS doesn't support dual multiple processing components! I think that if Microsoft worked on releasing a PC operating system for the masses with multithreading, dual processing, etc., Windows might suddenly become more popular for design applications...