Sign in to follow this  
Vox-tm

Can ASv6 Handle Manual Time Changes in FS9?

Hi allI've recently purchased ASv6 and am still getting to grips with how it works and reading up on how to get it working optimally.One thing that I am having trouble with is whether ASv6 can handle me overriding the current time in FS9. Let me explain... Because I can only fly when I get home from work, it tends to be after dark. So I run ASv6 and load a flightplan, then run FS9 and load the same flightplan. Then, because I don't want to fly at night, I change the time to a couple/few hours before (say around dusk) and then fly.Once airborne, I seem to get a fair amount of non-smooth, radical changes between types of cloud coverage and I'm wondering if this is because I have manually adjusted the time of flight and ASv6 is pulling in real-world time of a few hours difference.I am using the suggested 'realistic' settings for ASv6 that are suggested in this forum btw.Thanks in advance for any help offered,Vox

Hi Vox,Thanks for posting over here!Under those conditions you are getting real-time weather no matter what time settings you are using in FS04. If you are getting cloud coverage changes, please post your ASv6.ini file and we'll take a look!Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development TeamActive Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter

Thanks Jim, that's good then. I'm happy for the weather to be real-time, even if I'm flying at a non-realworld time.In case my ASv6.ini reveals anything to help solve the cloud coverage issue, here it is://ASv6 configuration file Build 482[General]WindowPosX = 4965WindowPosY = 2955DefaultWeatherFolder = (Removed for Privacy)FS2004ModulesASv6SuppressionCeiling = 10000SurfaceWindLimit = 10FS9Path = (Removed for Privacy)FS2004PersonalAppDataFolder = (Removed for Privacy)Application DataCloudLayerLimit = 5LocalSuppressionRange = 250MinimumVisibility = 0MaximumVisibility = 50LastPlanFolder = (Removed for Privacy)Flight Simulator FilesAutoVasFrequency = 30AutoVasStrength = 30TurbulenceFrequency = DefaultStartupLocation = KSEADefaultGraphicsFullTheme = Random AllDefaultGraphicsCirrusTheme = Random AllAutoSubmitGraphicsTheme = FalseIncreasedWake = FalseDisableWindsAloft = FalseForcePrimaryServer = FalseForceSecondaryServer = FalseFavorCumulus = FalseForceRoutePressure = FalseForceLowestCeiling = FalseUnpauseOnReadyStatus = FalseDisableWriteThrottle = TrueDisableProcessThrottle = TrueForceTstormsWithCB = TrueAutoSetFSTime = TrueIgnoreFSLocationUntilReady = TrueAutoConvertPlanFiles = TrueAutoRefreshAI = TrueDisableVisGraduation = FalseForceRouteAloftTemp = FalseOfflinePlayback = FalseEnableVAS = TrueAutoGenVAS = TrueForceDestinationWeatherZone = FalsePreventIcing = TrueOnlineUpdates = TrueExtendedDestinationWindsForce = FalseDisableAllGroundUpdates = FalseGlobalWrites = FalseDepictFS9HazeLayer = FalseExtendTstormLayers = TrueDisableDirectWindControl = FalseVoicePlayback = TrueLocalSuppression = TrueStartupSound = TrueDisableGroundUpdates = FalseUseProxyServer = FalseFogLayerGeneration = FalseUpdateSuppression = TrueOvercastEnhancement = TrueIgnoreFSReadyStatus = TrueFSUIPCWindSmoothing = TrueLimitSurfaceWinds = FalseLimitCloudLayers = TrueAutoGlobalWriteToggle = TrueRainWithTS = TrueDisableUpperLayerGeneration = FalseVisibilitySmoothing = TrueDisableMessages = FalseAutoTimeZoneDetection = TrueUpdateInterval = 10VATSIMData = FalseZuluConversion = 1AloftPredictability = 100WindDriftRate = 0MaxCloudThickness = 10000MinStratusSeparation = 7000TAFProcessing = FalseEnforceVisibilityLimits = TrueWakeTurb = FalseStartPaused = FalseUseSystemTime = TrueDisableCAVOKClouds = FalseProxyAddress = NONEThanks for your help,Vox

Hi,Those look good.Is Dynamic Weather Change set to None in FS04?Can you describe the changes you are seeing? That may give us a clue.Thanks!Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development TeamActive Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter

Hi JimYes, Dynamic Weather is set to none. The exact procedure I followed for my flight was this:1. Ran ASv6 and loaded a pre-made flightplan and processed it.2. Ran FS9, loaded the same flightplan, then because it was around 21:00hrs, manually set the time in FS9 to 19:30hrs (dusk).3. Hit 'Fly Now' and while doing pre-flight waited around 45-60 secs to allow weather to load. It loaded in two stages - basic cloud coverage then heavy coverage (which matched the weather in my area).4. Begun flight, climbed to cruise altitude (approx 4500ft). While flying level at cruise altitude the aircraft was in dense, blind cloud. However, every so often the cloud would suddenly clear with good visibility and low/medium cloud coverage for a second or two, then I would be plunged back into dense, blind cloud again.It was almost as if ASv6 was confused for a few seconds as to what weather report it should have been using as a source. Symptoms are similar to the sort of thing psolk was talking about in his post. If this happens again tonight, I'll take some screenies so you can see the dramatic change between the two skies.Thanks again for the assistance,Vox

Hi,Watch and see if this is not the changes in visibility doing this. Remember that FS04 uses clouds to control visibility.Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development TeamActive Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter

Hello there...I see from your ini file that both Fog and Haze layer is disabled in ASv6. One of those, dont remember wich one, will extend the visibility setting all the way up. The result is that even at 30k ft you can get a visibility of less then a mile if thats what is reported on the ground. I'm thinking thats whats going with your shifting visibility.

JT / JimThanks for the further replies. I'll turn on both settings in ASv6 and see if they help make a difference.I'm not quite sure what you are specifically referring to Jim about FS9 using clouds for visibility. Even if that's the case, the shift between almost blind cloud coverage and good visibility was so dramatic to be disconcerting and very unrealistic. But I flew last night using the same method I described above and didn't get the problem, so I'll have to see if there is any particular set of of circumstances that cause it if it happen again.Appreciate the help,Vox

Ok, after posting my last message, I tried the two settings suggested. Wasn't keen on either of them. The fog layer was totally unrealistic and the haze layer appeared to be too thick - both didn't match the weather outside.So I turned off both again, re-ran ASv6/FS9 and took a flight using real-time weather. I experienced one occasion of dramatic cloud cover change as shown by the screens below. The second one is how the weather should have been, the first is where it suddenly changed to total blind coverage and then a second or two later popped back to the correct weather. I hadn't flown into any clouds at this point.Hope this helps explain what I'm experiencing.Vox

Looks like a visibility shift to me. When vis get below 10 miles you will no longer see the sky above you. Its a limitation of FS.Did the vis get lower gradually, but then suddenly the sky was no longer visible?What was the closest metar at the time?What altitude did you fly at?FS only have one way of depicting low visibility and thats by adding a layer of fog. Its much the same as a cloud layer, difference is that there can not be more than one.Picture a buble around the aircraft. When a fog layer is in effect this buble shrink and you cant see as far as before.The reason to enable one of those layer options is that you wont get the fog layer when flying above clouds. If its disabled then you will see these shifts no matter what altitude youre at, because ASv6 tells FS the top is at 99999ft. Enable them and ASv6 will tell FS to set the top of the fog layer somewhere around 10000ft usually depending on weather and clouds.

Hi,This is a good explaination!Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development TeamActive Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter

Thanks for the response JT.1. The visibility didn't fade gradually, the sky was literally like the second screenshot, then instantly changed to blind cloud, then 1-2 seconds later flicked back to as it was before.2. The nearest METAR station was approximately 5 or 6 miles away from this point and around 9 or 10 from the starting airfield.3. Altitude was around 1500-2500ft as I had only just taken off in this instance and was climbing.If I understand what you're saying, even with the Fog Layer/Haze Layer settings ON in ASv6, I will only not get these dramatic visibility shifts once I'm over 10,000ft. If that's the case, I will always experience them under 10,000ft then? I don't remember experiencing the same dramatic shifts when I used to use FSMetar and switched to ASv6 because I was experiencing individual clouds popping up in front of the aircraft, not complete loss of visibility.I guess I'm now a little confused as to whether this problem can be cured or not and exactly what settings I should be using overall :(Vox

If the vis was very clear, like 30 miles or more, then instantly changed to a soup where you couldnt even see the ground at 2500ft, something is wrong.FSUIPC will smooth the changes in visibility slowly, BUT there is a big change as the vis drop below 10 miles and the sky is no longer visible. There is afaik nothing that can be done about that at this time. Its just the way FS works...Its a problem that have been discussed many times on these forums. Maybe one day we will have directional visibility and layers. Multiple layers shouldnt be to hard to do, but directional...thats a completely different thing.With todays graphics capabilities and power I dont think its possible to do.As far as FS9 goes, I believe ASv6 is doing the best possible within its limitations.If you encounter this again please write back with ZULU time and location so that someone can actually try the same situation.

>If the vis was very clear, like 30 miles or more, then>instantly changed to a soup where you couldnt even see the>ground at 2500ft, something is wrong.Yep, basically this was what was happening. I'll see how things go, and definitely post time/location if it happens again and I can pinpoint it.Thanks for the help and happy flying,Vox