Sign in to follow this  
Vox-tm

METAR's with AUTO/AUTOGEN in them?

I'm back to cause more trouble :)I loaded up FS9/ASv6 this morning for a quick flight and found that the weather outside the window in no way matched that on the screen. The airfield I fly from 95% of the time is about 15 miles from where I live, so the weather out of the window usually reflects that at the field.The real-world weather was grey and thickly overcast, but the weather on-screen was blue sky with fluffy clouds dotted around (very much like a default FS sky). ASv6 was loading METARs, but what I noticed was that ASv6 loaded the local METAR twice (despite pre-loading a flightplan starting at the airfield) and on the second time the METAR had the word 'AUTOGEN' in it. When I checked ASv6's screen, the word 'AUTO' also appeared in the same METAR.Does this mean that ASv6 couldn't load the data from online and then made up it's own weather? If not, was does the 'AUTOGEN' refer to?Thanks,Vox

Hi Vox,No trouble asking!!Not so much made up, but weather taken from other local stations and blended. The most common reason for this is missing station data or old data.Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development TeamActive Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter

Thanks for explaining that Jim.Is the old/missing data likely to be due to a bad download or web connection or is it that the data wasn't on, or supplied to the Wx server?Thanks,Vox

Hi,I understand you have been experimenting with TAF processing. Make sure this is OFF when comparing real time data as it can certainly have a negative effect if you're options/time isn't all proper."AUTO GENERATED" means the station's data was not received by our servers and therefor doesn't exist. In this case, depending on the range, ASv6 will either copy nearby data or interpolate it to populate the missing station's data. The missing report condition can be temporary, as is the case with some airports that close at night, are down for maintenance, etc..If you can give us the details you are seeing (station name, METAR string, etc.) we can take a look at all this and provide more information.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Hi DamianThanks for your reply and explanation, very helpful.I've included three screenies from ASv6 from a flight I've just completed. The three stations that ASv6 finds nearby the airfield (EGTR - Elstree) are EGWU, EGLC and EGTH. All three have been giving me AUTOGEN messages for the past week or so, but this evening it seems only EGWU had any weather and it hung like a localised cloud cover over that area. The other areas were very clear skies.The first screenie (148082.jpg) was loaded by ASv6 as I sat on the runway doing pre-flight.The second (148083.jpg) was loaded when I was airborne, very soon after take-off.The third (148084.jpg), as I reversed course and flew back over and away from the airfield.Hope this helps with your investigations. Any further info needed, please ask.Thanks,Vox

HiI'm still experiencing difficulties and dramatic weather changes with the Wx stations in this localised area - e.g. this morning there were dramatic changes between misty/foggy and CAVOK skies. Would it be because the data is missing from just your proprietry Wx server? I've tried using VATSIM weather in the ASv6 options, but no joy. I don't remember experiencing this problem when I used FSMetar before and was pulling weather data in from VATSIM or ICAO. I will do a more comprehensive comparison of the two apps over the weekend and see what the difference is (if any).Vox

Hi,No, you are seeing the visibility limitation in FS04. If you move from an area of <10 to >10 then there will be a jump. This usually occurs around the same altitudes.Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development TeamActive Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter