Sign in to follow this  
Steve Dra

Is there a gauge that shows wind direction???

Guest xoio

And a panel to download that uses it?Instead of having to have the info text up at the top of the screen.TaLaz

Guest gasebah

If you are using FSMeteo there is one, but it is payware. You can get it for 14.95 at the FS Meteo website. It is a normal gauge and can be included in any panel. However you must run FSMeteo if you want it displayed. It shows all weather data at your current position as well as at your destination airport. I am using it and I am quite satisfied with it. I feel it is quite pricy though.Alex

cpt.windspeed.gau does the job nicely.If you can't find it as a separate d/load, it comes with Jorge Salas Advanced 747-400 panel b747pa2.zip which is well worth downloading in it's own right if you don't have it.

Laz:The HSI in the Fokker 100 panel by Ton van de Laar has an indication for both wind speed and direction, just like you want. Its a lovely panel too, but using NOTEPAD, you could open the panel.cfg, find the HSI gauge in the MAIN PANEL list, copy and paste to replace the HSI in whatever panel you want it to be in. Remember to only copy and paste the gauge name, not the position and size coordinates that follow it, otherwise you will end up with a misfit in the desired panel! For example, In this sample from Ton's panel.cfg for the F 100:gauge19=F100_Compass, 974,63,57,54gauge20=F100_Gear, 953,372,61,229gauge21=F100_FSNAV.EHSI, 255,584,181,178gauge22=F100_SEI, 682,395,115,145Just copy and paste the F100_FSNAV.EHSI text in to replace the HSI gauge text of the panel you want to have the desired gauge. Leave all of those numbers alone!!! See the screenshots to follow. I added the yellow box on the HSI to draw your attention to the wind data. Good luck. Alex ChristoffN562ZMinneapolis, MNThermobulb@aol.com

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

>And a panel to download that uses it? >>Instead of having to have the info text up at the top of the >screen. >If realism is the priority then there is no such gauge in real life - at least for those that fly general aviation smaller craft. To have the wind "gauge" the aircraft must have an Air Data Computer and only expensive (say $2 mln and above, and new ones) airplanes have it. On the other hand some capable GPS units can derive the winds aloft data based on your input. But displaying winds from within the FS (either through FS Meteo or directly) is the ultimate, in my opinion, in defeating any realism.A good example is 767PIC which obviously has the wind data displayed on the ND.Michael J.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Guest DNelson

It looks like we're on the verge of getting full-blown air data and AHRS in small piston-powered GA aircraft. Both the latest Flying and AOPA Pilot magazines featured the Avidyne Entegra system in the new Cirrus 4-seat aircraft (forget the name of the plane right now). This glass display looks just like those in the larger business jets and it gets data from an air data computer and AHRS. The AHRS is based on the "tuning fork" technology instead of the ring laser gyros that the big guys use. The HSI display shows a wind vector just like that shown in the screenshot above. It's obviously not cheap, but compared to what was available just a couple years ago it's amazing.Dan

Yeah,I saw that pic splattered on the front page of my latest Flying issue too! :)My initial thought (before I read the text) was "pretty cool bizjet shot, I wonder which one it is?"Its about time for the small GA community to benefit from all this computer technology! After all, I always found it peculiar that we make the most inexperienced pilots fly the least-equipped birds...which are harder to fly (well, navigate at least) than a decked-out biz or commercial jet! :)Regards,Steve Dra

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

The HSI in the Fokker 100 panel by Ton van de Laar has an indication for both wind speed and direction, just like you wantThat's actually the FSNav EHSI indicator incorporated into his panel.