Sign in to follow this  

OT a little...Need some help with Paint Shop Pro

Hey folks...Happy Holidays to ALL. Perhaps some of you repainters or Paint Shop Pro gurus can help me. I recently took some photos of our home with all the Christmas lights and decorations illuminated. Unforunately, even with a flash on the digital camera(2 types used)...most of the pic comes out black, except where the lights are illuminated. I would like to try and brighten around the lights some, so you can see some of the house as well...for perspective. I have tied several tutorials and suggestions..ie:brighten night lights etc. But even when I try those, afterwards; my pics are so grainy and pixelated....it looks bad. So, does anybody have some suggestions to "lighten things up a bit" Trying to get these adjusted...so I can print out before going to parent's house for Christmas. Many Thanks to ALLDave

Hi !As with most things photographic, you can enhance what's there, but can't provide what isn't ! In your case the camera has obviously set the exposure to the lights, but with any luck you may still have some detail left in the shadows. Don't expect a masterpiece, though !You could try using the Colours, Adjust, Brightness/Contrast menu (see below an example where the Brightness has been raised by about 50%) Just keep upping the brightness etc. until you see something, assuming that it is there in the first place !Alastair

jerrycwo4Some of the more advanced cameras have what they call " rear synchro mode" modes where the flash fires just before the shutter closes. This way, with adjustments you can light the house and the lights at the same time, to get that pleasing balance that your looking for. This feature is on my Nicon N90 and my Fuji FinePix S2 cameras.jerry