Sign in to follow this  
Vox-tm

Deleting Wx Station to Overcome FS9 Visibility Problem?

I am still experiencing visibility problems with the Wx station near my home (starting) airfield - EGTH.I think the main problem stems from an incomplete report from the station that then forces FS9 to do its 'less than 10m visibility' thing. The other Wx stations in the area seem to be fine and I'm getting around to thinking that it might be better to remove this station from ACtiveSky because it cause such a dramatic visibility shift - e.g. this morning in real-world terms is a bright blue sky, massive distance visibility and not a cloud. This Wx station produces a foggy, no visibility result that isn't even close to reality!So, to get rid of the station in ASv6, do I just backup the file "complete_airport_list.txt" and then make a new version with station EGTH deleted?I would imagine this would solve my problem once and for all hopefully.Thanks,Vox

Hi,No, as I have learned from others. Do you know the offending station?Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development TeamActive Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter

Yes, it's as mentioned above - EGTH, which is Hatfield, UK.It is a disused/private airfield now that at one time was the De Havilland factory. I doubt it's weather report is anywhere near complete, but it seems to be the very one that messes up FS9 for me an it never produces accurate weather that matches what's outside the window.Thanks,Vox

Hi,Yes, I see. I just tried and got EGSS for the Fetch a Report. In the current weather snapshot there is no report. I will send a note to Damian. He may pull the station from the server.Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development TeamActive Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter

Guest evvatc

Hello all. Quick question. If he pulls the wx station from the server does it then use the closest reporting station for wx? Also, a little off topic but since I am posting. Is there anyway to edit a portion of a metar? Mainly wind. I sometimes fly to aircraft carriers and would like to adjust the wind to a head wind but keep all other wx variables as real world as possible. Thanks Bill

Hi,Yes that is correct, just as some remote airports do not have weather stations, but we use the closest weather station data.Yes you can by using the Wx Configurator and editing the METAR and then apply it to the station or station range you need. Note that this will put you in Offline Mode.Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development TeamActive Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter

Guest evvatc

Is there any chance he could take off some military airports in the U.S. from the server so it would use the closest facility instead? Most of the military bases in the U.S. report visibility as 7 SM as the highest even if the visiblity is higher. Using the nearest civilian station would seem to help keep the visiblity accurate more often. I could test and provide a list of them if you guys wanted. Thanks for the information. Bill

Hi Bill,We start with the airport database in FS04. Then we see what weather stations are active for data.I know what you are saying, but then our military fliers are going to ask why their stations are gone. So I don't know!I wish there was an automatic way to increase the 7SM to 10SM.Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development TeamActive Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter

Hi all,The closest FS9 wx station to EGTH is EGSS, and EGSS does provide valid METAR data. Here's the latest:EGSS 131520Z 03006KT 9000 VCSH SCT018 SCT040CB 21/18 Q1020Currently reporting 9000 meters or about 6SM vis. From all information I have this appears to be completely accurate.Part of the problem here is that EGTH and EGSS are not in the same location, but close enough to be sharing weather data. I am not familiar with the area but it might be possible that EGSS is a station located near a body of water which is prone to marine layer/advection fog during mornings and nights this time of year?We have been working on new techniques for the future which will really help in this kind of situtation, by being smarter about what data to use and how to apply it when direct data is not available for the immediate area.For now, I would recommend manually removing the EGSS station from the wx_station_list.txt file. This will result in a blank weather area at EGSS (clear and ISA conditions) but should provide a better/alternative depiction at EGTH by using the "next closest" nearby data for reference. If you don't fly into EGSS then this would be a great solution... for those that need EGSS data, then this is NOT recommended.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Hi DamianThanks for the reply.I've just consulted my CAA charts and can provide the following information about the area and the closest Wx stations to EGTH:EGGW (Luton) - 8nmEGWU - (Northolt, RAF) - 14nmEGSS - (Stansted) - 20nmThese are three Wx stations I see appear in ASv6 regularly and two are major UK international airports and one is a military base.The interesting thing here is that the report pulled in by default by ASv6 for EGTH is EGSS - *BUT* EGSS is not the closest Wx station to EGTH (EGGW is, at 8nm). And, if I fly from EGTR (Elstree) which is around 4nm from EGTH, the default weather report for there is EGWU which normally depicts weather correctly. It's only when I fly towards EGTH that I get dramatic visibility problems.Incidentally, EGSS is not near any large bodies of water.Sorry to be a pain about this, but it does seem that if I can get FS9/ASv6 to 'ignore' EGTH then the problem will probably go away. I'll certainly try what you suggest, however I'm loathe to delete a major Wx station like EGSS as I'm sure it's needed.I'll let you know how I get on.Best regards,Vox

>The interesting thing here is that the report pulled in by>default by ASv6 for EGTH is EGSS - *BUT* EGSS is not the>closest Wx station to EGTH (EGGW is, at 8nm). And, if I fly>from EGTR (Elstree) which is around 4nm from EGTH, the default>weather report for there is EGWU which normally depicts>weather correctly. It's only when I fly towards EGTH that I>get dramatic visibility problems.>>Best regards,>>Vox

JTI *knew* something was fundamentally wrong - I thought I was going mad and the sky outside my window was bugged :)Seriously though, thank you for admitting this mistake in such a noble way. It's never easy to admit to an error, but hey.. we all mess up at one time or another. This issue has never ruined my enjoyment of ASv6 and I really appreciate the hard work you folks put into this product.So, no worries bud, looking forward to that new list.Thanks,Vox

Just a quick check-in with the HiFi boys... is the updated Wx/airport list available yet? Just wondering!Thanks,Vox

Hi,E-mail me damianc@hifisim.com and I'll send it to you. The "update "containing this will also be available soon.Best,-Damian

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies