Sign in to follow this  

PSS dash-8 vs. freeware Dash-8

Guest gooper

Hi all, i am seriously considering purchasing PSS latest offering but after reading about how great the freeware one is (can't remember the name of the creator) I ned some feedback before I decide. MY most important consideration is with regards to flight dynamics- which one "feels" and handles the best? the biggest drawback i see to the freeware one is the readabilty of all the gauges but i understand there are ways to improve this. appreciate all comments on this topic.

With the PSS package, you get a complete package, with a GREAT model. With Oleksiy Frolov's Dash-8, you get a rendition of the default model, which isn't spectacular by any standards,a nd doesn't include any VC. However, Frolov's panel has ALL the systems modelled and working, as well as sounds and flight dynamics that make this package more immersive. To conclude, it depends entirely on what you like, if nice visuals are a selling point for you, buy the PSS Dash. If absolute realism is what you go for, stick with the freeware panel. I will admit that Frolov's panel and FDE 'feel' more like the real Dash, but there are many good things to be said about the PSS Dash. I bought the PSS package, and am currently working on a merge file so that I can use the PSS model and VC with Oleksiy Frolov's panel and panel-based sounds, becuause some days I feel more like using the ultra-realistic, procedural sim.

My own opinion for whatever it is worth.There has been alot of comparison between the two since the PSS came out. I took a big bite of the bullet and bought my first payware aircraft. I am a lover of the Dash 8 and could not help myself with the PSS. Oleksiy's panel to me, is that, a panel. He openly admits that he was building a panel and not a plane. His attention to detail is awsome. The PSS aircraft is more eye candy then Oleksiy's. I am believing that Oleksiy will be able to come out with a better looking panel in the future. Don't get me wrong, Oleksiy's panel is a most incredible panel and looks just great also. The sound packages between the two? Well there is no comparison there. Mike Hambly says that his files were recorded inside a Dash 8. I don't doubt that one bit. I also have great respect for Mike as he has done some awsome work in the past. The thing I find between these two is that Oleksiy has been able to capture the vibration in your body. I feel as if my whole room is swaying and shaking when I race down the runway. I have done numerous hours as a third in the Dash 8, and the most exciting thing for me is the sounds of the engines on take off. You just get an exciting feeling in your stomach when it happens. Oleksiy has also been able to capture the props as you feather, trim, and adjust at various stages. I think that it is not just enough to have sounds. Oleksiy has been able to capture feeling, excitment, power, motion and much more. I truly hope that someone will come along and build a model to compliment his panel. Something along the lines of the PSS Dash 8. When it comes to visual experiance, PSS wins hands down. When it's comes to authentic realisim Oleksiy has picked up the trophy there.Having said all that I wish to only add this. Between PSS and Oleksiy Frolov you have to be the judge for yourself in the end. The two models both have their good and bads. Actually I don't really believe there is any "bad" in either of the packages. If you want to get off a bit easier then the PSS is for you. If you want to experiance the pain of the learning curve to fly a Dash 8 then in my own opinion, for what its worth, Frolov's panel is your ticket.PSS Stong Points:Visual masterpiece.Very nice flight dynamics.Check out the weight and balance add-on.Also the panel configuration setup add-on. (Thats a very strong winner)Biggest complaint:Have to pay for the extra skins.Oleksiy's Strong Points:Free Free Free!Incredible sound package.Very well done graphics.Attention to realism.Biggest complaint:Needs a better aircraft.http://www3.telus.net/dport1/Radar_small.gifRC3 - Just gotta' have it!http://www3.telus.net/dport1/Radar_small.gifhttp://www3.telus.net/dport1/dansig.jpg

Nice summary Dan, nothing to add on my part!/Krister

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

I have to agree with everything Dan and David said. I will be using both, depending on my mood. Because they are both quite faithful to the real aircaft, operating them is quite similar. I was able to get into the PSS dash and fly it without much of a learning curve. What I find interesting is that the two planes feel very different. Both seem to have very good flight models, but they handle completely differently. If you like the dash-8, I would definitely recommend trying both.PS, Dan - I passed through your area last summer with my kids. I just had to drop by the airport so I could compare it to the flight sim. You live in a beautiful area.

Gents:I too have Oleksiy's Dash 8, and I'm considering buying the PSS. But, I'm not too concerned about the external and I would only buy the USAirways paint.But the one thing that I miss in Oleksiy's panel is the FMS. He has plans to release one in about 1 year, but I can't waut that long (besides, FS2K4 will be out by then, and, our luck, existing FS2K2 panels won't friggin' work in 2K4).So, I haven't heard anybody mention the FMS. How good is it?Also, do the ECUs actually work?There are only a few things I don't care for in Oleksiy's panel. 1. I get tired of having to fly like a real pilot (VOR to VOR). 2. The panel really is hard on the eyes. 3. I just can't seem to land it nicely... it either drops like a rock or floats like a balloon; I can't find the "sweetspot" throttle position at flare.These are things that make me consider the PSS. But, I too LOVE the sounds in Oleksiy's Dash, and, quite frankly, I'm not prepared to give that up.James

Hi Dan,I'll do that - not that I'm likely to pass through soon! I have Vern's CYXC scenery, and his Comox scenery. I'm actually on the Island, in Parksville, not in Vancouver. I sign my name with CYVR because if I put CAT4 (Qualicum), no one would know where I was!

Vern, myself, and two others often do short flights around BC on multiplayer. If you want to join us sometime then fire me of an email and I will let you know when the next one is. Maybe you could give us a tour of your area. Vern has done a few scenery files and they are good.http://www3.telus.net/dport1/Radar_small.gifRC3 - Just gotta' have it!http://www3.telus.net/dport1/Radar_small.gifhttp://www3.telus.net/dport1/dansig.jpg

James,The PSS rendition doesn't have working ECU's, not like Oleksiy's. However, it is a bit easier to fly for those of us acustomed to flying jets. For instance, in the PSS, you can idle the engines in flight, something that isn't really permitted on most turboprops, but is standard procudure in many passenger jets, once you are settled on the G/S. Also, you don't have to follow procedure exactly to avoid that annoying 'Takeoff Configuration' warning. In fact, there don't appear to be any audible warning, except for a stall bepper.