Sign in to follow this  
Ken Pryor

Ultimate Hong Kong v2

I am very interested in the Ultimate Hong Kong v2 that was released recently. I am curious though, how bad of a frame rate killer is it? My frame rates aren't that good anyway. Their system specs state that a PIII/800, 128 Mb RAM and 32 Mb Graphics video card is the recommended system. I have a PIII/800 with 384mb ram and a Geforce 4 TI 4400, but I just want to hear some feedback before making the purchase if anyone out there can advise.Thanks!KP

Hi Ken, Just my little 2 cents worth......I checked out the new Hong Kong scenery earlier today....The initial shots looked great....BUT....I soon realized that the major "upgrade" was some photo-realistic ground textures enhancing the streets, buildings, etc...everything else looked about the same........maybe I'm misspeaking....but that's just my first-look opinion. The airport's scenery looks totally average..........not sure I'd pay for the package as a new user........oh well....sorry to bring ya down....Tony P...

Thanks for the "bump up" Mark ;)Hey, no problem there Tony :)I'm glad to get the information, one way or the other. The main reason I was interested in it was I recently have seen quite a few pictures of the real life Kai Tak and the area around it which were beautiful. I thought if I could get a really nice add-on to FS that would look like that it would be great. Maybe I'll wait a while. Thanks for the info!KP

KenTry Thomas Kwong's "Version 3" of Kai Tak for FS2000, which works fine in FS2002. He's working on a dedicated FS2002 version if you want to wait, but it may be a while. Meanwhile, his old version is, IMO, more accurate generally than the payware versions, which have some nice gimmicks but are a bit garish in some respects and out of scale in others.Another Kai Tak fan, Roger Mole, has recently "awakened" Kai Tak for FS2002 but his nav frequencies are not authentic. Thomas' work has the proper IGS and so on for the infamous Runway 13.You'll find more about Kai Tak at my two Cathay flightsim pages. Click the image below.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo2.jpg

Thanks for the info Mark! I'd like to keep Chek Lap Kok open with it's real life frequencies, etc, but still be able to "re-open" Kai Tak as well. You've got a lot of good info and links on that website. Thanks for sharing it with me, I know I'll get a lot of good from it.KP

No problem there - the add-on Kai Tak will not affect Chek Lap Kok at all. The default version is excellent, actually, combined with Richard Mohammed's AFCAD file and some PAI aircraft. Thomas Kwong has made an excellent version of CLK for FS2002 but personally, I find it a bit heavy on frame rates and have reverted to default.The payware CLKs are, I am informed, Disneyesque ...Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo2.jpg

I installed Thomas' CLK and it is very nice, but it was definitely hard on my frame rates too. I have Richard Mohammeds AFCAD file installed too, so all that along with all the PAI ai planes I have is just killing my frames rates. One of these days I have to convince my wife that I REALLY need a super duper fast computer ;) Hard to believe I bought my current computer just a little over 2 years ago and now it's considered "low-end." Oh well, if only I were wealthy... :DKP

Guest Terblanche

KenMy two drops in die Hong Kong pot ... same ugly water ... same FS98 mountains around HK ... same frame rate problem ... too many over size boats that are looking the same ... the same FS98 coast line where the ground textures look pasted on the water.NO can do!PS: Stunning night lighting ... the rest is absolutely amateurish.

Hmmm, well I think I know what I'm gonna do. Think I'll just wait for Thomas Kwong or someone to do a nice version and avoid Ultimate. Thanks for the info Terblanche.KP