Sign in to follow this  
michal

Frustrated

Guest Lobaeux4

I just ask-- Why can't we get a Dash 8 (or insert aircraft here) with the model and panel readability of PSS Dash 8, the panel and sounds of the Oleksiy Dash 8, the systems and failures of the PIC 767, the visual detail of the Ariane 737-300, and the bells and whistles of the DF 737? It just seems that if we could meld all these panels together we would get such an awesome plane (well, the features of them maybe, not the actual welding and fitting of all these planes into one, that'd be pretty ugly).Just curious and waiting for one developer to develop the perfect airplane.LobaeuxBTW- I own all the above, except the PSS Dash 8, not yet, and I really do actually like them.

Not sure if I get it ..767PIC has great sounds (ok, some are 'custom' from other sources), panel is a LOT better than Oleksiy's (my own opinion), system failures ... its own, visual detail of Posky's model is well beyond what my own requirements are and, ok, I admit it has no PAX announc. system - nice but I wonder who cares for it.For example I trade most of those "bells & whistles" for new generation of smooooth gauges. Lets rave about features that really move the simulation forward and not some cheesy, cheap susbstitutes *:-*Michael J.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Hmmm, I think the same thing every time I go shopping for a new car :-lolRealistically, it will never happen. New technology and diverse pools of talent dictate that something better than the current "best" is just a hop down the road. The odds of that "something better" coming from the same company, as an upgrade for the same product, so as to maintain it's status of perfection........ nil.Besides, competition is needed to spur advancement. If someone built the "perfect" aircraft, they might get a tad lazy on the next one ;-)Another important point, ask 10 people what their definition of perfect is, you will get 10 different answers. (Wing Views)Cheers,Roger

Guest Henri W

Michael,It seems that Oleksiy is working on a systems failures option. When comparing Oleksiy's Dash 8 panel and the PIC 767 panel I really could not say that the PIC 767 is better, and certainly not a LOT better (my opinion). The PIC panel is great and I am sure (don't own it) that the systems modeling is magnificent, but what I do not like so much is that the layout of the gauges in the panel so clearly deviates from the real one: blown-up gauges (for readibility), rearrengements, omissions. The PIC panel looks unrealistically crowded to me. I am sure you will reply that you cannot read the numbers and words on Oleksiy's panel, which does have a realisitc layout. However, I do not have a problem on my system (good 19" screen running at 1162x864 resolution). BTW, the Dash 8 panel by Oleksiy gives me very good landing views. No need for a separate view. Anyway, tastes differ. Best regards,Henrihttp://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

I'm perfectly happy with the panel that came with the PSS Dash, not one problem with it! Great FPS as well!:)Shane

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Henri,My original post was not because I find Oleksiy's panel horrible but because the author tried to portary it as some sort of a standard to follow. Frankly it is tough to come up with a 'perfect' panel in the FS world - they all have shortcomings. The best panels still exists in the FLY! world where they can combine natural layout with perfect readability. And I agree that 767PIC's panel is by now dated. However I would never accept a notion that a panel that doesn't give you very clear, crisp view of the 6 primary aircraft instruments can be considered a standard. To this end I suppose Flight's DC9 panel is a noble effort - they give you a chance to 'blow up' those instruments and it is done in a very natural way. So whether by magnifying gauges, rearranging them or creating special views - I need those 6 instruments sharp and clear. I have a very high quality 19" monitor and the gauges better match it !!Michael J.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

For me, the Flight1 421 comes very close to the perfect airplane. Give it a 60, 70 kt tailwind in the flight levels, and you can get to your destination very fast. Excellent visual detail, and beautiful V/C. Tons of free liveries. A nice set of engine sounds. I'm also sympathetic to this aircraft, as it was the first FS add-on I'd purchased since the Pac N/W scenery for FS98.In general, I think it's hard for many developers to get an entire package together, since it requires so many skill sets. Many add-on developers don't have much in the way of staff. A panel, for instance requires a handy knowledge of programming. An aircraft mdl requires strong skill with CAD and artistry in general. A great FDE requires a good working knowledge, and preferably hands-on experience behind the A/C being simulated. Same would go for cockpit design. So most packages tend to be very strong in some areas, less so in others. Very hard to find the perfect one... One thing: we are very lucky that we can mix and match panels and FDE's even through the freeware offerings out there.

Frankly, what would make me happiest would be more planes with a true pilot's view as in the Dream Fleet 737 and Paul Golding's terrific 707 effort. Having the primary flight instruments dead center really helps me with line up etc. and just feels more realistic on my 21" monitor. You also get some external view to the left of the panel which really helps in the realism category when you are climbing out and the nose of the plane is obscuring the ground in front. That is my only complaint with the PIC panel - in order to get the center displays on there, they had to shift the primary flight displays left. The Captain Sim 727 looks promising, but before buying, I'd sure like to see more pics of the Dreamfleet three-holer for comparison. They truly get the whole pilot perspective - check out the screen shots of the Cardinal on their site. My biggest complaint with Oleg's Dash 8 is that in order to get all the engine gauges in, the primary flight displays are way, way left. I feel like I'm sitting on the jumpseat. I would love to see more developers put the engine gauges on an un-dockable window so I can put them on a second monitor. I havn't seen enough screen shots of the PSS model to form an opinion on this issue. I second the motion for smoother guages as well. Particulary the VS gauge.

>That is my only complaint with the PIC panel - in order to >get the center displays on there, they had to shift the >primary flight displays left. >Sure about it ? PIC for me certainly has the proper captain's perspective. I see absolutely nothing shifted left. For landing view I use Lee's modification - and enjoy fabulous landing view with ADI still in view.Michael J.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg