Sign in to follow this  
Guest ront1

Question for recent computer buyers

Hi,I am upgrading my PC primarily for the use of FS2002. I will be installing my existing Radeon 8500 (64mb) in it. I want to hear from anyone who has recently purchased a new PC (off the shelf, NOT custom built) and is using a Radeon 8xxx or 9xxx card who has had NO PROBLEMS with lockups and FS2002. Blistering framerates are not critical (but nice) however solid stability IS mandatory.Please tell me what you bought so I can consider the same machine.My current specs are:Compaq 5838 with 1000 mhz Athlon classic40 GB 7200 rpm HD512 mb RAM pc100Radeon 8500 - 64 mb videoThanks for any responses and MERRY CHRISTMASBill

Guest tascaso

Bill,Use the search function in the forum to get your information. I am of no use as I build my own boxes for gaming. From what I have read there are folks using the Vid-card with good to excellent results. Of course with FS2002 get the fastest/$$$ CPU you can get your hands on and the Vid-card should have 128 megs of ram. Get the horsepower, AMD 2400 or Intel P4 2.4 533 mhz FSB or faster. That way you can crank all the sliders to the right and forget about the framerates.Best of luck in the holiday seasonTony

Tony, Thanks for your suggestions. I'm looking strongly at a HP 763n with the P4-2.4Ghz CPU. (Anyone have that machine ? Let me know )Bill

Guest ront1

Hi Bill, I have a slower system than yours. See my sig. I just put in a Radeon 9500PRO in my system and am pretty happy with it. I did have a Voodoo5500 before. I don't feel that the FSAA is as good on the 9500, but still good. I have had no problem with lock ups with any of my games. I posted some pictures in this thread yesterday of screenshots I took with the 9500. Have a look. http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID47/14590.htmlHope that helps a bit.Ron