Sign in to follow this  
Guest tg272

Difficulty Getting ASX to recognize SimConnect

Guest tg272

Hi, Damian, Chris, and the rest of the team:I "had" installed FSX SP1, but didn't install the SDK when I installed FSX originally.I installed the SDK, then installed SP1 for the SDK.Get SimConnect(SP-1) error saying it can't be used.According to Damian's Locked Thread I was to uninstall SDK SP-1 via Add/Remove Programs. Well, it's not listed there. So I uninstalled it using it's own uninstaller in its setup program, but there is no check box as was mentioned to check.Now I'm running the original FSX install and telling it to fix any errors, thinking that I'll reinstall SP-1 over the top of it once finished.But how can I verify that the right version of SimConnect IS installed?To say that I'm disappointed with the install procedure for ASX is an understatement. This should have been better addressed in the Beta. It would make sense to give an exact procedure to follow right then and there in the install docs rather than sending people all over the lot to find, download, and install other files without being specific about the correct order, etc.I know this is a little nit-picky, but for a program of this caliber we've come to expect that kind of think-ahead from the developers. Hopefully, I can get this up and running quickly, because just looking at the Graphics Pak has me drooling already!! And that works, thank God.;)Cheers,Barthttp://acquiry.com/picts/BartMig110_sml.jpg

Hi Bart,"To say that I'm disappointed with the install procedure for ASX is an understatement. This should have been better addressed in the Beta. It would make sense to give an exact procedure to follow right then and there in the install docs rather than sending people all over the lot to find, download, and install other files without being specific about the correct order, etc."Sorry, but are you suggesting that we didn't test for this during beta? If we found any issue, it was addressed. Yes, not one beta tester experienced this problem, and in fact we've only had about 7 reports total of similar problems since release. VERY wide-spread and not common.The problem appears to be related to an invalid SimConnect installation and we are actively investigating to try and find a way to circumvent the issue with our installation process. This is a SimConnect installation issue, not an ASX issue.You can tell which version(s) of SimConnect you have installed by looking in the Windowswinsxs folder... There should be several instances of a x86_microsoft.flightsimulator.simconnect entry. The version for SP1 (required for ASX) is: 10.0.61242.Concerning not seeing SP1 in add/remove programs, it's there, you just have to check the "Show updates" box as documented...If you continue to have problems I would suggest deleting the 10.0.61242 simconnect entry in your Windowswinsxs folder then reinstalling SP1. This should be the fix-all solution. Please do let us know, we want to get you up and running ASAP!Thanks,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest tg272

Hey, Damian, sorry to give you the impression I was disappointed with the software itself. I'm not, just the difficulties I've had getting this to install correctly.I'll try what you suggested and report back. Heck, I blame Microsoft for the whole #### thing. Of course, that's notwithstanding the fact that their OS cost me a RAID0 set of drives to go bad and about two years worth of...well you know!. Next computer? PowerMac Quad. IT runs FSX better than anything I've seen so far!!Cheers,Barthttp://acquiry.com/picts/BartMig110_sml.jpg

Hi again Bart,No worries! I understand being frustrated with software :)Just an FYI we had a report come in that a user was using a registry cleaner program which was causing a related issue, apparently removing SimConnect unsolicited. The program was called TuneUp Utilities 2004. If you continue having problems it may be worth a check? Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest tg272

Ok. I deleted the SP-1 version of SimCOnnect.dll (which WAS the correct one) by deleting the folder in WIndowswsx. I then re-installed SP-1 and ascertained that the correct SimCOnnect had been reinstalled as well. It was.I open up ASX and get a SimConnect(Sp-1) cannot be loaded error message once again.I'm lost.Cheers,Barthttp://acquiry.com/picts/BartMig110_sml.jpg

Do you have a Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect version 10.0.61242.0 in the folder C:Windowsassembly ?Jos

Hello,I had the same problem and it was resolved by doing what hifi55 said :1) remove SP1 in add/remove programs2) checking that all simconnect directories are removed from Windowswinsxs (remove if still exist)3) install SP1It works fine now !! Thanks a lot.I first tried by manually removing the simconnect directories from Windowswinsxs without uninstalling SP1 with add/remove programs => it did not work.

------------------

Guillaume CHARRIER

Bart,I had the same thing happen. Add/Remove programs and uninstalling SimConnect and then reinstalling does the job. Might need to reboot, but all should be good after that.

Another thing to try...net 2.0 must be installed prior to installing FSX SP1. If it is not installed Simconnect components will not install properly. Install .net + reinstall FSX SP1 and let us know what happens.

Benjamin Van Eps

Guest tg272

>Do you have a Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect version>10.0.61242.0 in the folder C:Windowsassembly ?>>Jos

Guest tg272

>Hello,>>I had the same problem and it was resolved by doing what>hifi55 said :>>1) remove SP1 in add/remove programs>>2) checking that all simconnect directories are removed from>Windowswinsxs (remove if still exist)>>3) install SP1>>It works fine now !! Thanks a lot.>>I first tried by manually removing the simconnect directories>from Windowswinsxs without uninstalling SP1 with add/remove>programs => it did not work. >>Success!! This procedure worked, and I did reboot after each step.Now, I know I can try to go through the instructions (I'm really! not averse to doing that) but since we're on the subject I thought I'd ask for a similar type of simple checklist to set it up on another remote computer on my LAN. Will I also need to install ASX Graphics on that computer as well?Cheers,Barthttp://acquiry.com/picts/BartMig110_sml.jpg

Just to add to what others are saying, I also had this problem. A uninstall of SP1 and reinstall did the trick.