Sign in to follow this  
Guest MauiHawk

Thermals/Ridge Lift in ASX

Guest MauiHawk

In the FSX forum, someone asked if thermals and ridge lift is modeled in ASX... are they? If not, I assume FSX's modeling of these is surpressed?

Guest mplyons

I can vouch that the thermals/ridge lift is modeled - I took a short sight seeing flight from Ontario, CA, USA (KONT) to Edwards AFB, CA, USA (KEDW) becuase Ontario was reporting broken skies around 3K and vis at about 2.5 miles. Edwards on the otherhand was clear with vis about 30 miles...so there was a big difference and I wanted to see how it was handled. So I flew in the default ultralight and flew north into the mountains...the closer I got to the peaks I started noticing a great increase in lift which peaked going over the top - I got the feel as much as I could (too bad they can't simulate the true seat of the pants feel of being in that kind of lift) that I was there crossing the mountains - I've done a good bit of mountain helo rescue and I thought the lift modeling was very well done. Once over the mountain peaks the desert in front of me had much better visibilty and far fewer clouds, but behind the valley was still shrouded in clouds and haze. Very good example of ASX's works. Too bad I didn't think at the time of taking a series of screen shots.Cheers,ml