Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bud

More SimConnect Woes

Guest Bud

Hello Team - your worst nightmare here. I simply cannot get this prog to connect via SimConnect. Followed all the instructions but still get the unable to connect box. I use FSUIPC so I followed the instruction relating to that prog. and I uninstalled SP1 and then reinstalled it. I've jumped thro' every hoop presented but still never the twain shall meet. The issue is not network-based - I have another prog using SimC and this works fine. I suppose there could be some sort of conflict but I dont see it.I've been at this for hours now and am getting v. v. frustrated, Any ideas - which can be put into print??Bud

Hi Bud,This is on a single computer installation or networked?Where do you get an unable to connect box?If another program is using SimConnect that unfortunately does not indicate that you have SP1 simconnect correctly installed.Here is a suggestion:1) Uninstall SP12) Find the C:windowswinsxsx86.microsoft.flightsimulator.simconnect entries3) Delete the one with version 10.0.612424) Reinstall SP1Hopefully this does the trick. Unfortunately things are very strange here with a few widespread reports of different fixes required in this condition. We are working to come up with a nice comprehensive FAQ about it.Let us know.. thanks!Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest Bud

Hello DamianThanks for the swift reply. Unable to connect box was on the client.I had actually started again, as it were. I've now got AS to boot without the error box. In fact it appears to work quite well. Unfortunately it does not send weather to FS. The output depiction sdtation remains at idle. The second problem is that my other SimC prog does not work at all now. I've given up for the moment - I'm sick of it all!!!Bud

Guest Bud

Had one more session with this. Checked that the AI Traffic prog worked - it did. OK, started FS and then AS on the remote machine. For some reason, it worked flawlessly. Celebrations were cut short then by a crash to desktop.Re-booted and tried again - no joy - this time all seemed OK except that no wx was passed to FS. Re-boooted and tried a third time - same result, no joy - more frustration.My other SimC prog - EFB - continues not to connect at all either. I cant understand why AS would work once and then not again. All settings are exactly the same.Bud

Guest Bud

Plugged away until the early hours! Uninstalled and reinstalled more or less everything I could see. Also played around with the ports a bit. Decided to use 80 which, I think, is the FS wx port. I seem to have got it to work OK - last couple of tests have provided a wx connection anyway.The downside is I seem to have lost FSUIPC now and my EFB gives me an access violation problem and does not function. This is very unfunny - I'm off to bed.Bud

Guest Carl Hackman

Hi BudWhat we need to do is have a look at the status of all your settings and see if there are any anomollies.First we need to ensure that your files are all correct.simconnect.cfg - should be on the client machine in the root of your my documents folder with the following settings:[simConnect]Protocol=IPv4Address=SERVERNAME or SERVER IP ADDRESS.Port=PORT NUMBER YOU ARE OPENING FOR SIMCONNECT (MS Recommends Port 500)MaxReceiveSize=4096DisableNagle=0simconnect.xml - should be on the server in the "documents and settingsYOUR USERNAMEapplication datamicrosoftfsx" folder<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>SimConnectSimConnect.xmlFalseFalseIPv4global

SERVERNAME or SERVER IP ADDRESS
64PORT NUMBER YOU ARE OPENING FOR SIMCONNECT (MS Recommends Port 500)4096FalseFalseautolocal
644096FalseYou must have the local section in the simconnect.xml if any applications on the FSX server use simconnect (otherwise not required).Ensure that simconnect.msi is run ON THE CLIENT machine.Ensure that the port you specified is open on both client and server firewalls.place the simconnect.ini file in your "my documentsFlight Simulator X Files" folder this will bring up a dialog that shows the version of simconnect in use by FSX and also shows all requests and instructions from applications as they talk to FSX. When every thing is running ok this file can be removed.If FSX SP1 was installed prior to dotnet framework 2.0 then SP1 will need to be uninstalled and reinstalled using add remove programs (ensure that you check 'Show Updates' so that you can see the update for FSX as the SP1 entry will not be visible unless you do this).Note: If your network uses dynamic ip addresses the name of the SERVER is better to use rather than ip address as the name will always be resloved regardless of ip address.Hope this helpsPlease let us know how you get on.Carl Hackmanhttp://www.hifisim.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-dev-sigbanner.jpg

Guest Bud

Hello CarlMany thanks for all the info. In fact I've covered all of it in the last many hours - plus a bit more. As I mentioned I've done a fair deal of repairing and un- and reinstalling various bits and bobs to the point where I was unsure what state my FSX would be in.At present I have ASX up and running and connecting OK. I've also managed to recover my FSUIPC and that's fine too. Still can't get EFBX to connect tho'.Seems to me that we've all been dropped into a brave new world of SimConnect and I'm not convinced we were ready for it. For example, how many folks are conversant with Ports and know which are available for use? How many are proficient at editing xml files? From what I've seen so far, Developers assume that flightsimmers must be experts because there is a distinct lack of this sort of basic advice/instruction.Additionally, I think confusion is caused when two progs which each need to connect seem to have distinctly different methods of doing so.I'm referring to ASX and EFBX here.You'll probably hate me for saying this, but I cannot help but come away with the impression that whilst the operation of these progs has doubtless received exhaustive testing, the same cannot be said of the means of connection. Possibly this is all due to the brave new world and all will be sorted in the end.Bud

Guest Carl Hackman

Hi BudThanks for the reply.The xml and cfg files are only required for network configurations. If all your software is on the same PC then none of this is required.The means of communication with simconnect doesn't matter as each application uses simconnect in different ways to retrieve and pass data.The xml and cfg files only point to the location of FSX etc and simconnect does the rest itself.We will be looking into issues that have arisen on this forum so that we can compile an extensive FAQ for users who have a network setup for their FSX installtion and addons.Hope this helpsMany RegardsCarl Hackmanhttp://www.hifisim.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-dev-sigbanner.jpg

Hi,Please make sure you've installed Downloadstations.dat as per the other threads explaining similar "connection" or depiction problems.. there is on occasional problem with installation of this file and it may be affecting things here.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest Bud

Hello Carl and DamianThanks guys. I now have ASX running & connecting fine on my network. I've also got FSUIPC back. However, I'm still stuck on EFBX which, apparently, does not like the parameters established for ASX. More digging to do here. Lord knows what issues will arise when we have six or seven progs all using SimC. I think a FAQ for n/work users would be an excellent idea.Bud

Guest Bud

Hello CArl - Yep - that's the one. Good luck !!Bud

Guest Bud

Hello Carl - It's on the client machine, as is ASXBud