Sign in to follow this  

OT: Rich Harvey and the Final Fly II Patch.

I know this is off topic technically in the MSFS forum, but as I fly FS2002, and am better known here I thought I would add a thought.Once upon a time, several years ago now, I and two partners ran a small company called Game Tool Technologies, which developed add ons for flight simulations. This was well before there were a lot of people doing that in quality or quantity. As a course of developing business, I came to know several people with Terminal Reality and had the occasion to go to Dallas and visit their small shops. (Was part of another trip to Dallas to see the Graphsim people who were doing FA-18 Korea at the time). During that time, we were offerred an opportunity to do some development for the first edition of FLY and I had occasion to speak to Rich a couple of times by phone, though never got to meet him.I was impressed with Rich at that time because of his serious commitment to quality and the degree to which he challenged us to meet that requirement as well. Having read on the front page of AVSIM, rich's herculean efforts to release the Final FLY2 patch, (and the lifetime award presented to him by AVSIM), in the face of no funding and huge heatlth costs, I can only say that I consider Rich Harvey a hero and a champion of all thats good about people and especially this community. Christmas time is about giving. I can think of noone who has given more to all of us than Rich.I dont fly FLY, but I can recognize a gift to our hobby when I see one.Richard Harvey, and to all of you.. Merry Christmas to you and God Bless you.Eric Joiner

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Guest ba747heavy

Eric --Nice, well written article. Once in a while I go and fly FLY! 2. I am greatful for RH's wonderful loyalty to the PC Flight Simming Community, and his selflessness to FLL! 2. He is on the verge of passing away and yet he still finds the energy to do this for us, what a great man....

>During that time, >we were offerred an opportunity to do some development for >the first edition of FLY and I had occasion to speak to Rich >a couple of times by phone, though never got to meet him. Eric,Could you disclose what exactly you were supposed to develop and what came out of it ... As a great fan of the orginal FLY! I am quite interested.Michael J.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

With these series of patches, Rich and his team truly embody what is best about this community - a dedication to enriching the lives of others with no expectation of personal reward. Others would be good to take note. What Rich and his band did was no less than take an unusable piece of software pushed onto the market before its time and turn it very nearly into the product that was envisioned in the first place. And as far as I can tell, for no other reason than for wanting to see the job finished correctly. Their reward is the gratitude of their loyal customers and the satisfaction that comes from doing something for all of the right reasons. That is truly something to be proud of and a wonderful message of hope and the good will for the holidays. Cheers!Colin

Rich is in our hearts and in our head.Peter Sydney Australia

There is no such thing as an off topic post when we are dealing with leadership, personal courage in the face of overwhelming adversity and consumate dedication to a vision.

Did you get in touch with Mr. Harvey, as requested in the FLY forum?Just passing this on, if you didn't see the request under "Paging Tom Allensworth".

Larry, since I know Tom is away from the computer for now, I'll let you know that what Rich was trying to get in touch with us about was the coordination of releasing the patch which is obviously done now. :-)Guess I should go remove that post from Rich. :-)

I have never met Richard in Person, but have seen his courage demonstrated here in the forums and by his actions.*********************************************** Richard Harvey Scholarship Donation Pagehttp://www.avsim.com/pages/scholarship.shtmlIt's a good cause, so forego a few beers, smoke a couple less cigarettes, donwload a freeware plane, and give to a good cause. It is the Holiday Season, and you should be charitable. :-)Regards,Joe :-waveHere is my new sig...You Like it? :-lol :-lol.http://home.attbi.com/~sonar5/newsig2.jpg.Here are Picture Galleries of My Trip out west in 2002..Gallery #1 Pima Air & Space Museum + AMARC (Boneyard) at Davis Monthan AFB, Tucson, Arizona. (over 240 Pictures)http://www.pbase.com/sonar5/pimaamarc

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

We were asked about doing 3D Studio Max Development of a cockpit for a Boeing 737. We declined because we didnt have the resources to do the job at the level required. (3DSM we knew...but the number of views Rich told us about was beyond us at that time.)Eric

Guest crashing_pilot

well written mr Joiner..i don't own FLY,but i know he's a hero..my 2$

Guest Twister

I often think about Rich.I made a little prayer for him last time I went flying, hopefully the Almighty will give it a higher priority...I've never met Rich Harvey but I'm impressed by his greatness and courage.Hang on Rich and Happy Christmas !Twister

I see some beautiful sights when flying. Sometimes when above the clouds the rat race of life seems so insignificant compared to our world and beyond, that it makes you realise that there is something bigger more powerful at play.Richard i would like to dedicate one of my favourite pictures to you this Christmas in gratitude for the example you have given many of us in so many ways.Thanks RichardPeter

The internet is an interesting place...because the same thing happened with Falcon 4.0. Falcon was released as basically a last beta. However, there have been a couple of groups who have taken it well past its original scope and its still going strong because of it.FS2002 has this community which has done much the same thing. I flew tonight a fantastic flight from KDEN-KSFO flying the Captain Sim B727 with my own Grand Air skins,FSNavigator Flight plan, FSGenesis Land class files, FSW Clouds, other 3rd party mesh, PAI AI planes, etc. Virtually the whole things enhanced because of all of US. Fly had a smaller following and a dedicated developer who single handedly carried the same ball forward. Rich is unique in that. However the net demonstrates routinely that the power of many is greater than the power of one. BUT...the many need a leader. Rich Harvey is a leader.Eric