Sign in to follow this  
Guest craigjjs

Weather influenced graphics

Guest craigjjs

I have installed the bundle. I typically import my flight plan and select the option to have XGraphics install for the flight plan. I also set my theme for 50% weather influence.Can you basically explain what is happening when the weather influence is selected? I know it looks great, but would like to better understand the process. Also, what cloud and sky graphics are used by ActiveSkyX if XGraphics is not installed?Thank you.Craigjjs

Hi,Thanks for the questions.Your theme at 50% means that your theme will be used 50% of the time.Weather influenced means that textures will be chosen based on the average conditions between departing and destination airports.If X Graphics is not installed, then FSX graphics will be used.If X Graphics is not run, then the previous textures will be used.Hope this helps!Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Guest dg3274

I have a question about how the weather influences what textures are used. I can understand how the weather can affect how the sky, clouds, and water look but how can it affect how runways and taxiways look? For example, what kind of weather would cause the "Hardcore Blacktop" texture to be used instead of the "Old N Dirty" texture for Asphalt Runways? Or how could the weather determine if taxiway markings were "Faded" or "Outlined"? Does X Graphics just randomize these textures when WX influence is selected? If not then could you elaborate on how they are chosen?Thanks!

Guest Carl Hackman

HiTo elaborate slightly on what Jim has said. The texture designers have edited the Wx Influenced values for each texture enabling XG to select from a range of textures that have values biased toward particular Weather parameters passed by ASX. The higher the value for a particular Weather phenomena then the more likely that that texture variation is chosen.These values are also editable by the user. If you go to any of the texture screens in XG and select a variation you can edit the Wx Influenced values by clicking on the 'Update Wx Influnced' button.For instance if you think that Sky Day texture variation 'Impression II 18' looks good in rainy conditions, you would click on the 'Update Wx Influenced' button and set the 'Average Rain Intensity' to a high value this would indicate that this texture is one of the preferred textures for rainy conditions.As you can see XG gives you a great deal of flexibility in which textures are chosen for any given weather condition.I hope this helpsThanksCarl Hackmanhttp://www.hifisim.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-dev-sigbanner.jpg

I just love ASX & XG, but I'm a little concerned when I click on "Update WX Influenced" for just about any graphic that all values are set at 5, which suggests that the texture designers have not edited the Wx Influenced values for each texture, but left it up to the user. I for one would not be qualified (nor would have the time) to edit each graphic and update all these parameters.Can you reassure me that graphics are being selected according to weather conditions provided by ASX despite this?

>I just love ASX & XG, but I'm a little concerned when I click>on "Update WX Influenced" for just about any graphic that all>values are set at 5, which suggests that the texture designers>have not edited the Wx Influenced values for each>texture, but left it up to the user. I for one would not be>qualified (nor would have the time) to edit each graphic and>update all these parameters.>>Can you reassure me that graphics are being selected>according to weather conditions provided by ASX despite this?OK a search on the forum has partly answered my query, but one thing remains not quite clear. A support person said in another thread that the clouds were the only graphics that are WX-Influenced by default. So logically one could assume that a texture that has a Wx Influenced value of 5 it is ignored by the Wx-Influenced algorithm, is that right? A value more or less than 5 would be considered when the Install Wx Influenced button is clicked depending upon the current weather?If we could understand the algorithm we would better understand the software. Your illumination would be most appreciated gentlemen. :-)Thanks.

Hi,All checked textures are wx-influenced. If it was me, I stand corrected!The way the Wx Influence works is that ASX creates a file with the weather for either the current location in ASX or flight plan entered into ASX. X Graphics then picks up this files and reads this data. X Graphics then creates a random selection of textures best suited to the conditions currently in ASX. The range of values is 1 - 10. 1 meaning light (for precipitation) or low (for Visibility) etc. If you decide a variation would look good in heavy rain then give it a higher Average Rain intensity value. This will mean that this variation has more chance of being selected by X Graphics if the Rain is heavy.Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/