Sign in to follow this  
Guest LuftHansi-DK

Settings: Turbulence, and voice issue

Guest LuftHansi-DK

Hi,I have the ASX & XG bundle.My first question is about the settings screen. What I want to accomplish is to ALWAYS have some level of turbulence when I am flying. I assumed that the way to do whis would be to set the "minimum turbulence" option (and also "minimum cloud turbulence")in the settings screen to some percentage, but even setting this up at 50% does not accomplish this, at least I often cannot detect any when flying around in the Cessna (yes, the maximum turbulence setting is above this, at 100%). I can see that the actual weather data lists layers with no turbulence, and also that I have the option to edit this and thereby put some tubulence in. But if I do this, won't this be overruled the next time the real weather is updated? And besides, it would be much easier for me if the settings screen option just made sure to always put in some turbulence the way I assumed it would.Is this poosible, and if so, how?My second point is regarding the ASX voice on frequency 122 (and also the other one for the destination weather): I have my system (Windows XP) set up so that all engine sounds come out of the main soundcard + speakers, and all ATC voice commnunications come through my USB headset (a pretty common setup, as far as I know). This works great for standard ATC and multiplayer. Your weather voice, however, comes through the main speakers. Shouldn't it be coming through the device selected as the "Voice" device in the Control Panel (just like the ATC voices are)? Can I fix this myself or is this hardcoded?/Hans

Guest LuftHansi-DK

I tried cranking up the turbulence to 90, and I finally did get some turbulence. A little too much for my taste as far as contstant influence goes, but I'm very happy that it at least is working! Then, about 10-15 minutes into the flight (at constant altitude), it disappears and everything goes smooth again (I'm flying the Cessna). I continue away to another airport, land, take off (this other airport was also on the flightplan in ASX), and still no turbulence. I'm now heading back to the airport I initially took off from. Then, when I'm about 10-15 minutes away from this initial airport, I start getting the turbulence again (I also turned turbulence down to 80, which was better - you may want to take a look at that slider since it takes so high a setting to be noticeable in a Cessna). So, anyway, from this one flight (admittedly not very scientific) it appeared that the setting was only valid within a short distance from the departing airport. Incidentally, I do have the airports.dat file in my "C:ProgrammerHiFiXEngine" folder (I'm running a Danish XP Pro).Can you (or anybody else) verify this behavior, or is there some setting I still need to fiddle with to get the turbulence at ALL times?Also, how do you "set wave files to play through the headet"?/Hans

Guest LuftHansi-DK

Thanks! And are you checking up on the turbulence issue, or do you need more from me on this, or what?/Hans.

Guest LuftHansi-DK

Hi Jim,If that's what you want, then congratulations on achieving it! :)What I'm trying, however, is to have some level of turbulence at ALL times. I've tried some more flights, and it seems to me that the turbulence settings are only having an effect in a roughly 10 mile radius from the departing airport.Is there any way to have turbulence at all times (and places)? And if so, how? Am I misunderstanding something?The only info I have on these settings is:"Minimum Wind Turbulence: The minimum level of wind turbulence to be depicted." and "Minimum Cloud Turbulence: The minimum amount of turbulence to depict while in clouds."Enlighten me, please./Hans.

Guest LuftHansi-DK

Thanks, I'll try that. In the mean time, your answer begs the following question: What are the ASX "Minimum Wind Turbulence" and "Minimum Cloud Turbulence" settings supposed to do?/Hans

Guest LuftHansi-DK

So if I at any time (for a duration of more than, say, a couple of minutes) experience less than the amount of turbulence I have specified in those settings, would the conclusion then be that the settings are not working as intended on my system?/Hans

Guest LuftHansi-DK

No, I am not expecting to be shaken out of the sky. A slight amount of turbulence a little above completely smooth flying is all I am looking for (I actually started this by moving these settings to 10%). It sounds like you view such a desire as ridiculous, but at least where I fly, I usually feel a little turbulence from time to time, and in the name of realism, this is what I was hoping these settings would provide; just a slight amount turbulence at all times so it is not unrealistically smooth during the vast majority of the flight.It has pretty much from the start been obvious that you are not taking this report seriously. As far as I can tell, you have not even attempted to recreate the problem, which I must say disappoints me quite a bit. Instead of investigating, you have invested your time in giving me the runaround.As far as I can tell, the settings are not working in a way that a user could reasonably expect given the (extremely sparse) documentation provided. I would have thought you'd be interested in investigating such a situation (or at least explaining if I had misunderstood something). Considering that the malfunction appears to be related to distance from the departing airport, this to me smells of something that may also affect / be related to other settings of the same nature, potentially increasing the severity.Perhaps you will revisit the issue if others report it (or similar) in the future. You'll be happy to hear that I'm finally giving up./Hans.

Hi,No, not at all. I looked into this starting on Sat. June 16 and I reported my findings. Random turbulence is not going to be seen, but turbulence based on weather conditions and terrain. I did suggest a method to increase the effects of turbulence through the FSX.cfg file.There have been no other reports of this, through testing, and since release.Right now I am 37 miles away from the closest airport at 20K in the 737 and I am seeing turbulence. Now, I'll admit that it is not violent turbulence, but it is there.No reason to give up, but try the FSX.cfg modification until you find a level that suits your expectations.Thanks,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Guest LuftHansi-DK

If the turbulence you are reporting in your last post is the result of actual weather data - and not a result of the settings that are the subject of this discussion - then you are either unwilling or unable to understand the issue I am raising. And I give up on that (explaining further) as well!/Hans.