Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Networked ASX crashes FSX when exited

Hi chaps,I'm running build 1056 of ASX on a networked laptop and it was absolutely fine during a flight from LEMG-EGCC. I terminated ASX over SW England and immediately on doing this FSX just froze. Task Manager reported it as "Not Responding" and I had to terminate it.Are you aware of this problem?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Jim,I'm not sure. I'll repeat the actions making sure a download or synthesis is not active and report back.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Jim,I continue to suffer with FSX locking up as soon as I exit ASX. No download was being performed and the synthesis had also completed.I can get this to happen every time I close ASX. In all other respects both products are totally stable so it's mystifying why closing ASX would crash FSX.No-one else running across a network seems to have reported this so it is probably something on my setup but I'll be darned if I know what it is.Would a log show any clues?Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Jim,I'm out tomorrow but will upload one tomorrow night.Thanks.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Jim,Because the log was larger than the maximum size permitted by AvSim I've cut a section from the middle leaving the start and end. Hopefully it will give you something to go on.I was down at Pete Dowson's yesterday and he also runs ASX on a networked PC. We exited ASX seevral times without any affect on FSX so it seems something perculiar to my system.Hope you can make sense of it.Thanks,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Jim,FSX closes fine. The problem only occurs if ASX is closed first. I suppose I can remember to do close them in the right order but as this is the only program I'm running that causes FSX to hang I felt obliged to report it.I do have one other observation. If I start FSX first and then start ASX it doesn't seem to connect to FSX. Is it the case that ASX must always be started first and is that the case if running across a network or on a single computer?Prior to FSX hanging when ASX was closed the two were running fine for several hours. There's obviously something going wrong but trying to find what it is is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. :-(Thanks for your help over this.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Jim,No, ASX doesn't display any warning about FSX being closed first.Let me try some tests...ASX starting first followed by FSX... ASX loads and after a short while displays "ASX Initial Weather Synthesis Complete".I then start FSX... ASX reports "Connected to FSX" when the Free Flight menu is displayed. I press Fly Now... Once FSX loads ASX reports "Depiction Output Active". Choosing the Report option in ASX shows it to be reading the aircraft location.I then close ASX using the red close button top-right. Sod's Law comes into effect! FSX does not hang. This is a first!!Now my other test with FSX starting first followed by ASX...And again it behaves perfectly. Here is the log...11:32:53: Logging Initialized11:32:53: XEngine v1.0.0.325 Copyright

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi again Jim,I'm sorry to report that after another couple of starts closing ASX did cause FSX to hang again. There seems to be no logic to when it happens.I don't think there's any more I can do other than ensure I exit FSX first. It's no great hardship.Thanks for all your help.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest United

I'm going to jump in here and say that I have the same problem as Ray. I use ASX over a networked computer as a client and if I exit ASX with FSX running, FSX freezes. What Ray may not have noticed however is that if you wait a few minutes, FSX unfreezes and contines on where it stopped!! I have had to wait up to three minutes but I think I've never failed to have FSX unfreeze itself.As I don't have any other simconnect programs running on the client computer I cannot tell if this is an ASX problem or a simconnect problem.Randy Jura, KPDX

Hi Randy,Do you get a pop up box in ASX telling you that FSX is still running and should be closed first?All of this is due to the unloading of all the virtual weather stations we add in FSX and the time it takes to "clear" them out, if you shut down ASX first.Thanks,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Hi Randy,How exasperating is this! :( For the last week I've been flying with FS9 during which time AS6.5 behaved impeccably as always.Having seen your message I started ASX and when it had completed loading wx and was stabilised I started FSX. Could I get ASX to 'see' FSX? Could I b***ery! I rebooted both machines, started FSX then ASX, then ASX and FSX but nothing, but nothing I did would make ASX 'see' FSX.So I can't even test your suggestion. :-(Absolutely nothing has changed on either system in the last week. I'm sure ASX running on a networked PC must run fine for many people but at the moment I'm tearing my hair out because I don't know what is wrong.What would be helpful is a button on ASX saying "connect to FSX now". That way I could tell ASX that FSX was running and please talk to it. If ASX couldn't it could display the reasons why it couldn't if there was a problem. I presume as things stand at the moment ASX, once stabilised, constantly sends messages out expecting FSX to answer. If ASX cannot successfully make that connection it doesn't display anything.As things stand I have absolutely no idea why ASX cannot see FSX. How disappointing :-(

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather