Sign in to follow this  
Guest Thrym

ASv6.5 Huge FPS drop with clouds

Guest Thrym

Hi,first of all, thanks for a great product! But i have a problem and i spent a whole day yesterday sorting it out but i've found no (complete) solution yet.First my system:Intel e6600Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS 320 mbResolution: 1680x1050FS 9.1My problem:I have a huge drop in fps when i get 3d clouds visible in my screen. I have the fps locked at 30 and it's always at 30 except when clouds are in my view, it can drop to below the 10's. When my view is panned to a blue sky wihout clouds or to the ground my fps are great. I've read alot in forums here and elsewhere and this is what i've found out:-Changing texture size of clouds make no difference-Changing the number of layers make no difference-Changing cloud draw distance slider all the way to the left improves, but that's not what i want, when i change it 1 or 2 steps to the right the drop is too significant. Anyway, the improvement is not enough, the fps will still be too low.-Visibility slider has no effect, i can max it out.-Using simple clouds, the problem is gone, but i'm using AS with a reason here...-Stopping unnecessary services have no effectAnd now it comes...I use Nhancer, AA on 4, AF on 16. I have AA on in FS, i use Nhancer to enhance the AA in FS. When i turn off AA my fps skyrockets and the problem is gone. But as u can understand, i dont want AA off. I did not try turning AF on 8 or 4 yet, but i can't imagine that AF settings would make such a huge difference or am i wrong here? Anyway, i'll try it when i'm home.I have AA turned on in FS because i can't get AA to work otherwise thanks to Nvidia. If i turn it off and in Nhancer i uncheck the enhance AA in application then AA isn't working. Yesterday i tried an older driver and even with Nhancer it didn't work with enhance in application checked. Those drivers are really confusing... I did not try using the Nvidia panel without Nhancer, i'll try it later. I even read somewhere that i should install the driver that came on the cd for my card, after that install the new nvidia driver over it and AA should work through the panel, i haven't tried it yet.This is what Damian wrote in another post:With the Nvidia card, one important thing is to make sure Anti-Aliasing is TURNED OFF within FS display settings (even suggested on ATI cards but not as important). Nvidia's are known to have big problems handling anti-aliasing of 3D cloud textures and their very complex alpha channels. I believe that anti-aliasing can be turned on manually through driver control panels (Chris may be able to comment more on this) so you can still get some AA without the huge Nvidia performance hit. However, this probably will not help since you don't have this effect with default FS real wx? But worth a shot..If this is the issue here then i have to find a way to get AA working without the setting in FS turned on and throught the Nvidia panel or through Nhancer. As is said before, this is something that i tried but still no luck. If anyone have a suggestion for this problem, please help. I'm going to look in the Nvidia forum for this. But i've read elsewhere on the internet that i SHOULD turn on AA in FS always and also turn it on also in the panel, but i guess 3d clouds with AS was not mentioned here.All the other settings in FS have no effect, i can max out everything and without 3d clouds everything runs smooth with FPS at 30 (locked).As u can read i narrowed the problem down to the AA thingie. I hope someone can still have some input for me... Anyone else have the same AA issue with Nvidia cards but have it solved? Can u get AA to work only through the panel and NOT in FS? Let me know, please.I hope changing the AF to 8 will solve my problem here, it would save me a lot of work...Anyway, thanks for reading.With regards,Arno vd BurgNetherlands

Guest Thrym

Hi Sugi,i already read your topic before i posted mine...My first thing to do is get AA to work without using the setting in FS. I did some further readings and i came upon a German FS forum. Some guy there had contact with a Nvidia person and they said that u should use this driver:http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_97.8...adroplex_4.htmlIt's a quad driver but according to Nvidia it can be used also for the 8800 and they said it's the most stable driver at this time. The German lads tested this driver and AA seems to be working without the setting enabled in FS, even the screen where u can choose your plane has AA. I didnt try it yet, i will later. Ofcourse i will post back here with my findings... Another driver that seems to be working, the 97.94:http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1613But always clean your driver files between changing, this can be a major issue too.Good luck.Arno

Guest smtp

No, I have this problem too, but I use a GeforceFX 5500. Using drivers 65.05.Before ASX I was full speed, now its at 3FPS in heavy clouds. :(

Guest Thrym

I've tried every cloud, even the smallest ones, but it doesn't help.In the last 2 weeks i've been trying to sort this problem out... As i said before i'm using Nhancer and when i use enhance AA with 4xAA then i have a super smooth picture but the frames are terrible. I still didn't find a solution for this, only Nvidia can solve this with a driver. I now use enhanced AA 2x, and it gives me the same image as turning the AA off in FS9 and AA on in the driver. Good fames but a bit less picture then 4xAA but i can live with it. The frames are perfect. But next time i'll think twice with buying another Nvidia videocard. It's a highend card but it can't handle AA like it's supposed to do in a game from 2003. I hope they will release a driver that can solve this but i doubt it...