Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Enormous wind shifts in FSX using ASX

Hi,Last night I was flying on a friend's B737 simulator using ASX supplied weather.Our flight left LFPG around 2300 GMT 3 July 2007 for LSGG. During the middle part of the flight we experienced extreme wind changes at around FL310 where a 100kt tailwind suddenly changed to a 60kt headwind. Needless to say the aircraft couldn't cope with such a sudden change and after a few seconds of overspeed 'crashed'.He is flying the PMDG737-700 but without the supplied panel as he uses Project Magents software on a multiple PC system.I've never seen such sudden changes of wind in FS. I appreciate the weather over the whole of western Europe is currently very unseasonal but the sudden change through 180 of a high level wind seems bizarre and there was no indication of such wind directions in the ASX display.Has anyone else encountered such extreme wind changes? I don't wish to point the finger at ASX because it's possible the same weather downloaded from within FSX may have led to the same result but I'll start here in case anything is known about ASX.Thanks.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I think Jim and Damian are working on it.It certainly appears to be an issue.

Thanks for the info. :-)

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Chipping here as I was looking for info on this same topic. In the LDS 767 at this very moment, nearest station of KHRO enroute between UJM and OSW I have been having very significant wing swings at FL360. It's gone from a 40 knot tailwind to a 50 knot crosswind to a 60 knot headwind and seems to be shifting around alot as far as the exact direction of the headwind at the moment.-stefanedit: for clarification this is ASX running via SimConnect on a second computer.edit2: at 22:02 GMT right now at location: N36,14.42 W93,31.58 I just had an immediate swing from a 52kt crosswind bearing approximately 270 to a 52 knot crosswind bearing 090 give or take. This shifted abruptly in approximately one second.edit3: And several seconds later it shifted back to 224/52kts. The plane is getting thrown about quite comically, heh.edit4: final edit, as I think the point has gotten across, heh. N36,23.43 W93,47.82 at 22:07GMT the wind immediately shifted to 343/50kts. So, something's up.