Sign in to follow this  
Guest acehog

Setting wx manually in ASX

Guest acehog

Hello,I just got the ASX bundle. I have read the manual but am having trouble setting and appying wx to a flight using wx configurator. I am sure I am missing something simple. I am inserting my departure and destination ICAO's in the flight plan window through the briefing screen. I go to the wx configurator screen and dial in winds, a cb layer at 400 overcast with a thickness of 25000ft with rain. I set visibility at 1 mile. I click on the apply wx button and it says everything worked. I start FSX and at my departure airport there is only scattered and broken clouds. The rain is there. I take off thinking the wx will kick in, but I am flying in scattered clouds the whole flight. I closed FSX and ASX, tried again and again, but I could not get my 400ft IMC layer to appear. This is a pacific ocean route (PJON-->PHLI) and I know wx stations are sparse. I am hoping someone can tell me:1 How to set IMC for the entire flight.2 How to set the Virtual Wx Stations to fill in the gaps along this route while using my manually entered IMC conditions.Edit: I have read of the problem of seeing the ground while in IMC. This is not related to that. The program is beautiful and has huge improvements over ASV6.5.Thanks for any help!Alan

Hi Alan,Thanks for writing.It could be that we are still working on the OVC layer and that is why clouds look thin.Lastly, on the bottom of the WX Config. screen make sure your application range is set to Global, befire clicking on Apply Weather.Thanks,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Guest acehog

Jim,Thanks for the fast response.I did have it set to "Global". I have read about the thin OVC's, but I am getting very scattered clouds. Not even close to an OVC. Question: Do the virtual wx stations automatically install in the type of wx configurator setup I have described? Is there a place you can see these virtual wx stations (textual or depicted)?Thanks again,Alan

Guest acehog

Jim,Thank you very much for the quick follow-ups. I will check for those Vwx stations in FSX tonight.Alan

Guest acehog

I set up the flight last night; importing the flight plan from FSX. The virtual stations showed up in the FSX wx window. I am impressed!I will patiently await the OVC fix!Alan

Guest acehog

I set up this flight again to make sure everything else was working. It is not, and again I want to mention that it is probably something I am doing wrong.The weather around my departure point at PJON is as set up in ASX. All indicators tell me all is ok: ASX locks to my plane, I get the green banner telling me the wx has been depicted, the report screen displays my settings (winds 050 at 24kts at all altitudes, 0 visibility, overcast 150ft to 25000ft). The XGuage shows wx at PJON and my destination both with the above settings. The wx screen in FSX shows the virtual stations there and working. I have applied the wx globally and it was set up with the route imported from FSX. When I take off, all is as it should be for about 50 miles or so. At that point, the clouds are completely gone and the wind changes direction to some other completely different settings. Visibility becomes unlimited. What am I doing wrong? Help please.Thanks,Alan Edit:In the ASX map screen I see PJON and my destination depicted with a cloud layer only around them locally, none along the route in between. I don't know if that means anything but it sure is accurate to what I am seeing in FSX!Just for the heck of it, I set up a different route with the same weather (KAVX --> KSFO) and it shows a cloud layer all along the route. It seems as though the virtual gap stations are not doing their job on my oceanic route.

Guest acehog

Jim,Turned off Vwx stations and made sure ASX was loaded first. Same effect. Screenie attached.Thanks,Alan

Hi Alan,For the Map I know what the issue is:The map is not a true Radar/Doppler display. What we are doing is taking station reports and translating the data to a fixed symbol. This fixed symbol only extends a short distance away from the station. If symbols are far apart then you are going to get "clear spaces." However that does not mean the weather will be clear.If stations are real close, like your USA example, it is possible that the symbols produced a cloudy track on the map.Does this make sense now? If not please write!Edit: PJON looks to have the cloud symbol also, but it is under the orange dot.Thanks,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Guest acehog

Jim,90% of my flight ends up VFR when I want to fly it IFR. That should get fixed. Alan