Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

most southern point in the USA (maybe OT)

Hi all.Since there are man people with great knowledge in this forum, I thought I'd ask here.A friend and I had a discussion where he said that the most southern point in the USA in Key West just made it by about 10 miles compared to the most southern point of Texas (somewhere south of Brownsville).I told him that I believe that the most southern point of Texas must be in reference to Florida somewhere in the Miami area and that it is much more then 10 miles from Miami to Key West using a straight line.Where could we find a map or something that would give us the exact coordinates where we could see in what relation to Florida the most southern point of Texas is?Or could we determine this with FS2002, is it that accurate?Thanx for your help

The most southern point in the USA is South Point, Hawaii on the big island of Hawaii in the 50th state. I believe the most southern point in the continental US is Key West, Florida.

Check out this link for information on the argument with your friend: http://cayo.net/keywest/sopoint.htmlAny good mapping software will tell you the latitude of places in the United States. Using Delorme's Street Atlas, the southernmost point along the Rio Grande is at 25'50.25"N and the southernmost point on Duval Street in Key West is at 24'32.64"N.Now this only applies to the continental 48 contiguous states. Both of you would be wrong when it comes to all 50 states. Then Ka Lae (South Cape), Hawaii becomes the southernmost point in the United States. It's at 18'54.65"N latitude.Bruce

Alaska is the state that is farthest north, east, and west while Hawaii is farthest south. -------------Michael

And Texas is the largest state in the Union (Unfrozen, that is)

Yeah, it was only about the continental 48 contiguous states, we know about Hawaii.So to determine where the most southern point of Texas in reference to Florida is, I would have to find where 25'50.25"N on the east coast of Florida is.Could this be somewhere in the Miami area?

I'm originally from Brownsville, Texas and I can say that Key West is farther south than Brownsville,(if you draw a straight line across the Gulf Of Mexico) and thus makes it the most southern point in the continental United States. Fausto (happycapt)

Guest Dean

>And Texas is the largest state in the Union (Unfrozen, that >is) And a Texan's worst nightmare is they split Alaska into two States making Texas the third largest. ;)

Key West is WAY South of Miami. I want to say as the crow flys, it's 180 miles from Miami to Key West. It's a heck of a drive! The Keys not only head South, but curve to the West too. GREAT food. GREAT folks and GREAT times to be had there. It was pure party town in the 70's and 80's. I'm sure it still is! :)DonOh...to answer the question...YES, Key West IS the Southern most point in the continental U.S.. I stood by the bouy and had my picture taken!

>Don >Oh...to answer the question...YES, Key West IS the Southern >most point in the continental U.S.. I stood by the bouy and >had my picture taken! Actually that is not my question.Judging by the answers I get, I obviously have a hard time to make people understand what I'm trying to find out.Sorry about my bad English, maybe I'll have to try someplace else.Thank you for your replies.

Guest sgreenwood

Hi Cyborg,Based on searches for Brownsville TX and Miami FL using the maps atTopozone, it looks like the southern tip of Texas is at the latitude of Legion Park in Miami. Steve

>Hi Cyborg, >>Based on searches for Brownsville TX and Miami FL using the >maps at >Topozone, it looks >like the southern tip of Texas is at the latitude of Legion >Park in Miami. >>Steve That was exactly what I was looking for.Thank you very much.

Key West is the southernmost city in the continental U.S. The buoy that was referenced in a previous post does not indicate the true geographic southernmost point in the continentel U.S. That point is not accessible by the general public. It's located on U.S. Navy property and contains an array of antenna and sat dishes. The area on nautical charts is called Whitehead Spit. I live about a quarter mile from that point.Regards,HarryKey West, FLThe Capital of The Conch Republic--We Seceded Where Others Failed!

Hi Harry,I was in the Navy on Key West from Nov64-Oct66, rented an apt on Truman Ave. Hadn't been to Key West since '72 until March of this year. I was stationed at the Seaplane Base (Helicopters) on Key West. Flying over and around Key West was always an enjoyable experience.My wife questioned me when driving around the island in March. "Shouldn't we turn here dear? No DEAR, I know were I am going!":-lol It was amazing to see some of the old haunts plus all of the new!