Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bud

Low Level Haze

Guest Bud

I'm sure this has been covered but I can't find the solution. Is there a way to eliminate the low level of haze which appears so frequently. It really spoils the enjoyment of the views.Bud

Guest Bud

Hello JimMany thanks. Wonder, is there anything I can do in the meantime maybe to mitigate, if not eliminate, the problem.Bud

i do not know if my problem is low level haze or something else, so i will join this thread with a picture. periodically, there will suddenly appear what looks like a dense, ground-hugging fog; it is sometimes very limitd ina rea and other times, as in the attachment, it is extensivel. in the present case, it alomost looks like a water level which does not quite reach the tops of hills. in thie present case, insome qreqw, it is slightly translucent and you can see textures breaking through, but then the opaqueness suddenly reappears. the present picture is over puerto rico, on august 24, and the weathewr was fairly nice. the flight level was only around 3900ft, so we are seeing fairly low clouds or whatever it is. i have only asx plus its sp1 installed. in this flight i am using fsx graphics, not asg.can anyone tell me what we are looking at, and how to correct or prevent it from occurring.thanks very much.steve chavin

chris:thanks for the reply. at the moment, i do not have xg installed and have not decided which of the graphics programs to choose. can the problem be corrected by asx users who do not have your xg program installed?thanks.steve chavin

I too have the exact same problem with the "broken haze." I will try what has been suggested, but even after SP1 I still see it, especially in the San Fran and LAX area due to the actual real fog they have. It just doesn't look right, and I saw this same thing before I bought ASX with default FSX weather settings...fingers crossedDanon -

Hi Danon,In the readme of XG in SP1 it is writed HiFiXGraphicsRevisions.rtfby installing overcast 4 or 5, and after uncheck the cirrus overcast to prevent these to be replaced after.Haze FSX displays a haze effect to render visibility layer ceilings. When you are above this ceiling you will see a cirrus overcast texture which simulates the lower visibility haze. Some users may prefer a lighter/more transparent haze effect so we have provided two Cirrus Overcast textures (Cirrus Overcast 4 and Cirrus Overcast 5) with such lighter effect. This may improve the appearance of these haze layers especially when it intersects with mountainous terrain. To use these textures persistently, select and install Cirrus Overcast 4 or Cirrus Overcast 5, and after installation of textures, prevent Cirrus Overcast installation via the Advanced Options (uncheck the Cirrus Overcast item). This permits normal randomization/wx-influenced/manual selection of all other categories while keeping Cirrus Overcast locked as selected before the advanced option change.ThanksChris Willishttp://www.hifisim.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-dev-sigbanner.jpg

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

like danon, i used to see tthe low level haze in both fs9 and fsx, usually in very limited areas and mostly in what appeared to be valleys surrounded by mountains. my impression now is that with fsx+sp1a and asx +sp1, the problem has become much more common, affects larger areas, and gives the appearance (in extreme cases) of a large body of white water approaching the peaks of hills or mountains (see the attached jpg in my earlier contribution to this thread).what i am hearing from chris willis, if i understand him, is that the solution to the problem requires the installation of as graphics. this is not very helpful to people who might want to use a different graphics package or no add-on graphics package. are there no other solutions in terms of fsx settings or asx settings alone?steve chavin

Hi Steve,To prevent the "large body of white water " or milk haze this is generated from the lower visibility and this is how FS, use these effect since fs9.As for Asx and Fsx togheter without graphics, try to use minimum visibility surface about 30 mile, just test these and see the result in fsx, both maximum visiblity higher then 80 in ASX, these milk haze start with lower visibility in fsx.In XG graphics for FSX we provided a solution to fix this which is made compatible with ASX directly from now and future and alot more etc. If you want to use others graphics, it's with your own risk with compatibility.ThanksChris Willishttp://www.hifisim.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-dev-sigbanner.jpg

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

chris:thanks for the helpful answer. i don't mean o criticize youyr graphics program.it is simply that i have previously used one of your competitor's graphics package and have not yet made my mind up for fsx. meanwhile, i will try to implement your suggestions while considering my options.steve chavin

chris:i do not want to be a nuisance but after my last reply, i found a couple of earlier coments in an earlier thread on this forum which are relevant to our present discussion. here is a copy of one of them:408888, "RE: Opinions wanted on Activesky X"In response to Reply # 12 The problem with the haze layer ending abruptly at higher elevations resulting in a definative line with the mountains sticking above it has not been corrected in ActiveskyX which makes flying in mountainous areas look like Cr@p. The FSX converted version of Activesky 6.5 does not have this problem. So I use AS6.5. AS6.5 will also work for both FS9 (which I still fly) and FSX.If you are only going to fly FSX, I would still get FSX and hope that Hi Fi will fix the above problem.in view of the fact that the earlier version, ASV 6.5, did not cause the haze problem, isn't it possible to add some programming to asx to accomplish the same solution? i am not a programmer or graphics designer, so this question may be totally inappropriate, in which case i apologize. i do really like asx; i would just like to see it even better than it is.

jim:i stand humbled and corrected. thanks for the clarification. i presume this means there is no simple fix for this problem without using asgx?steve chavin