Sign in to follow this  
Guest MauiHawk

XG Wx Influenced suggestion

Guest MauiHawk

I'm sure its probably a little late to make it SP1, but it would be really nice in XG if for certain textures you could "lock" them so that they would always be used. Trying to figure out how to guarantee a texture is used in all Wx conditions seems really confusing (impossible?), not to mention time-consuming. For example, if I set a texture to 10 for precipitation (and all others to 1), I understand it makes it very likely that texture will be used during rain.... but does it make it less likely to be used when its dry? Even if it doesn't, how do I try to guarantee its used when dry at the same time? On top of that, the Wx influenced values take a while to save... and when you are dealing with textures like sky textures where there are ~100 possiblities, walking through each to update the Wx values takes a *really* long time.Beyond "locking" certain textures, I wonder for Wx influence if it would be possible to choose a specific texture for your ideal low visiblity texture and another for your ideal high visibility texture and have XG blend the two based on the Wx conditions? I realize that might not work well with all types of textures, but stepping through all available textures in XG to update the Wx influenced values is just not something I can see many people doing.Thanks for considering.

Hi,Thanks for the ideas. To better help us, please bundle your thoughts and send them to tell-us@hifisim.com. We track suggestions that way.You can do this right now in a way by installing a favorite texture into FSX and then unchecking it on the Advanced Options screen. Then that texture class will not be resubmitted to FSX. But, I can't remember if this also works with Wx Influenced.Thanks! Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Guest MauiHawk

>Thanks for the ideas. To better help us, please bundle your>thoughts and send them to tell-us@hifisim.com. We track>suggestions that way.Thanks, Jim, I did just that!I actually just sent another email that way as well based on SP1 because it addressed one of my concernes: advanced options now reliably allows certain textures in FSX to be preserved. I also like that the wx influenced values are now given appropriate defaults-- very nice.In case anyone else might like to comment, I'll also post here about the other suggestions I emailed:I still think that the wx influenced system as it stands is too time consuming to update to be terribly useful. This is particularily the case because beyond the fact that each of the hundreds upon hundreds of options takes a while to update, I also find it necessary to actually experiment with seeing many of these textures in "action" before deciding on appropriate values. While its a very good thing that we have so many options at our disposal, I also would like better control over what shows up in FSX without having to spends days or weeks tweaking all these values (as it looks like you have done for SP1... so I'm sure you know what I mean).To that end, previously I suggested defininig an ideal texture for each end the spectrum for each wx variable (percip, visibility, etc). But I want to retract that... much better and more realistic to implement, I think, is to have a screen similar to advanced options for each texture category where you can select in one fell swoop which textures wx influenced will choose from. The wx influence system would still work the same, except I could focus on tweaking the wx influenced values for a select few favorites.I also want to add one more suggestion-- I think each wx influence parameter should have a check box indicating whether it should be considered. For example, while wind should be an important consideration for wave textures, I don't think it should influence at all which sun flare texture is chosen. And likewise I think it would be neat if visibility could influence sun flare, but not influence the wave texture selection.Thanks... keep up the good work!