>Lol good luck and share the experience Rhett :-)>Share my embarassment is more like it...Ok, I flew into Dean two different times today. Both times in an Arrow Air cargo DC-10-30F. First I flew out of Kingston, Jamaica, east along the south coast of Haiti, then turned SE to intercept Dean.At first it wasn't too bad. I approached cautiously at FL31 and at .70 mach. Got a little bumping and gradually it got to be a solid OVC deck under me. There was some lightning but not too much. Then I descended into the clouds, and it got rougher. Winds were pegged at 99 knots (can't it go any higher? I have ASX set to 200 knots max). I eventually went down to 1200 feet asl and back up to 10000 feet, bounced the whole time. I had to full throttle things at times to maintain altitude and course. Anyway I ran short of fuel (I packed light) and flew up to Port-au-Prince, Haiti.Then, flight#2. Same aircraft. Flew south into storm. I didn't make it back. Yes, I lost complete control of the aircraft. It started with an uncommanded pitch up, 20 deg, then 30, then 50. Then I stalled, winged over, and frantically tried to stop the corkscrew dive I was in. A/c was unresponsive. RIP Rhett. How many times have I died in FS? Not very many in terms of the times I fly! But Dean was too much for me.I attach a screenshot of a happier portion of the flight, showing the full OVC deck under me.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorianhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/176897.jpg

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Looks like a great and rewarding flight Rhett, even with the problems you encountered. My flight into Dean, some 16 hours ago, was very tame. I am concerned that something is set wrong, or if I just entered the hurricane in an agreeable area.I wonder if the difference is between a flight without incident and one with, is the direction that one enters the vortex? For example, Dean is rotating counter-clockwise if memory serves. So if I enter Dean to the right of the eye (which I did in my flight), I will have more tailwind, and less headwind. If I enter Dean from the left of the eye I should have major problems. I wonder if that actually is the case.

>Looks like a great and rewarding flight Rhett, even with the>problems you encountered. >Yes uncommanded barrel rolls in a DC-10 is not my cup of tea.>My flight into Dean, some 16 hours ago, was very tame. I am>concerned that something is set wrong, or if I just entered>the hurricane in an agreeable area.>I noticed one time that I had to reload the weather to get the virtual stations to "take". I'm not sure about that and will have to test some more.>I wonder if the difference is between a flight without>incident and one with, is the direction that one enters the>vortex? For example, Dean is rotating counter-clockwise if>memory serves. So if I enter Dean to the right of the eye>(which I did in my flight), I will have more tailwind, and>less headwind. If I enter Dean from the left of the eye I>should have major problems. I wonder if that actually is the>case.Maybe that's what it was. Anyway the time I flew in from Port-au-Prince that storm was NASTY. But the time from Kingston was not as bad.Where did you take off from?RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

It was Noriega airport in the area of Puerta rico. It took a while to get there. But I think you are correct about the restarting stations to get it to apply. That makes sense. I'll give it another go if I have some time today.

>It was Noriega airport in the area of Puerta rico. It took a>while to get there. But I think you are correct about the>restarting stations to get it to apply. That makes sense. I'll>give it another go if I have some time today. Cool shots yep it's sometimes different and can be real nasty try to make 360 degree turn above the hurricane it goes slow very slow lolWill go into the beast again with some heavier aircraft lol...Current with a double eye wall...Only notice that the metar is giving 99 knots? it should be more any comments Damian why?Cheers,Andr

André

I wonder if its a 2-digit limitation in that display line? I flew through Dean and Flosse a few times and noticed the same thing. Though on the LDS767 EFIS display, it does show the wind speed in the 100's even though the top line is stuck at 99.It doesn't appear to be limited by aircraft as I was able to find a strong tailwind to get into the eye of Dean at just the right altitude.. in the Cessna 172! I had a good 110kts tailwind into the thing but it continued through the eye and out the other side... still with winds in the same direction and speed. Something to look at for future weather engines I guess. Still way fun! Here are a few snips from within the eye of Dean. You can see the ground speed on the GPS is kinda crazy.