No difference, I took off from a 001 OVC location and all the reports within 50 miles were low with the best observation being 009 OVC and out the window it looked good, when I went outside the aircraft I saw ground the whole time and when I passed 5000' (I guess on top of the weather) everywhere went basically clear, out the window I could see ground all around. When i poked my nose back below 5000' the ground disappeared out in front of the aircraft. So I could get clouds to appear and disappear by just going up and down into the top of the weather ...now how do I remove it? Do I have to go to Add/Remove Programs to uninstall?? Seeing that I can get FSX to create the solid weather I know it is possible. I think at this point some of us are going to have to give in and realize it is not really working for us and I honestly believe that there are more out there lurking but just accept it as adequate. To be honest if you just sit back and look at the forums there are quite a few problems (wind shifts, inaccurate wx depictions are the biggies) out there and I will just hover out here and update when SP's are released and see what happens. Thanks for your assistance in trying to get this to work. Certainly nothing wrong with customer support.

Guest trampus1

I have been reading this thread with a great deal of interest and you've just about said it all Chappie. I have also tried OVC conditions using the advanced weather tab (without ASX)and with the same results giving me a solid cloud deck beneath which looks suberb. But using ASX in OVC conditions it all looks great at ground level but when flying above the clouds the clouds becomes broken or scattered giving a fair weather appearance. Seeing the ground almost everywhere. I have been trying to tweek here and there but without success. Like yourself Chappie I'll have to wait and sit on the fence hoping for a resolve.trampus1

Jim thanks for your support, I was disappointed that Damien did not offer up any suggestions since he was the one that closed the other thread on this topic because no one supplied useful info on what their problem was and then I did. Hope you guys can get this figured out, I have been with your products from day one and appreciate what Hifi brings to the sim community.

Trampus,My guess is there are quite a few of us out there. I have learned in the past that there is only so much tweaking that can or really should be done before you start degrading your setup. The old addage, if it isn't broke don't fix it, starts to come into play. My settings are primarily default in ASX and I have the proper drivers and FSX runs 30-60 FPS on average and depicts wx just fine by itself, so instead of tweaking this and adjusting that .ini and rubbing my belly and patting my head in a circular motion, I prefer not to meddle to deep and keep things stable because it generally always boils down to an easy answer, and that answer for me in this case is that ASX is not working the way I expected it to and nothing I do will fix it because it is not my end that needs fixing. Chappie

I have subscribed and watched this thread with a keen eye but at the same time, I have remained silent as it looked like a dedicated support thread. But, now the question has been asked "if others have this same issue", and so I felt I must speak-up.I too have the same 'ol OVC clearing issues. It's the same problem from FS8 and FS9; and it doesn't look any better. I specifically asked if this issue was fixed in the ASX announcement threads to which I was assured, it was.In fact, I have never seen OVC remain after climbing out the top. I sure wish someone who says this works on their rig, would post a AVI video of it working along with a saved weather file, ASX settings, and FSX sittuation files so that we can have a known good starting point for further troubleshooting.I too have been running AS and ASX remotely for years and so I'm glad someone tried ASX locally to see if it makes a difference. I'm almost glad it didn't and I appreciate the effort Chappie put-forth to verify that point.Please, can someone post these files and a AVI to see how it's supposed to look?

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest faust1200

I may well be wrong but I have a theory about the non-overcast conditions in FSX. I am curious to see what others think. First of all I am not able to recreate a solid ovc layer in FSX (flying over the layer that is)with or without ASX. It seems to me that the visibility setting you are flying in overrides any solid or otherwise cloud layer. Example: If I am flying 1000 ft. above an overcast layer and my visibility value is 5 miles above the layer, FSX lets me see 5 miles in any direction including down through the solid layer of clouds and to the ground. So whatever the visibility is in your current position, FSX will not take into account a solid layer of clouds - it will show you your 5 miles despite any cloud layers. The result is that your visibility setting creates a bubble of fair weather around you. If this is so (and I'm only speculating) then I don't really see how ASX can change what is an inherent "flaw" in FSX.

The problem with that theory is it that it does not hold water (pun intended reference clouds) when viewing clouds from the side. I can be looking at a nice stratus or cumulus cloud from the side and I cannot see through it to the ground. I just can't get them to populate the entire area around me during an overcast condition. And when I do get a majority of clouds (never overcast though) and clear them on top my conditions scatter out and I see mostly ground versus a white blanket under me. Just a day ago I could literally fly my aircraft up and down a few hundered feet and when I would go down the weather would fill in and I would get reduced forward visibility indicating that I was entering the weather and then pull up and I would clear the weather on top and all my clouds would disappear and I would see ground everywhere.Steve

Hi Jim,Thanks for sending me the video but unfortunitly, it did not show anything but clear skies and the aircraft @ ~ 20K/ft. Nada cloud one. Exactly the same as Chappie's image of the video without any clouds, posted in this thread, a few days back.Were the clouds not recorded with this fsr video or is it perhaps ommited as part of the FSX recording process? I spent all weekend twiddling with FSX settings and now seem to have a bit better cloud coverage but I still see an aweful lot of landscape while transiftioning to the upper FL's.Maybe you or one of your dev-guru's can create a feature AVI video of an aircraft passing throught the OVC layer and having it stick and post the video on the HiFi website. Maybe as a advertising demo? Available for download? I just would like to know if I'm getting closer with my tweaks but alas, I have no point of reference ATT.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE